DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all would be involved in trussing a Dana 44 for added strength. Looking to help it out around the housing and along the tubes. Anyone who has done this got any pics?

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Not sure if there is a bolt on truss for the dana 44. Isnt too hard to fab up on that is welded to the top of the axle that way you dont loose ground clearence. Jump your truck much? All the trussing wil ldo is help the axle tubes from bending, but not alot of people run into that issue. Breakage of teh axle shafts and the hub bearings are teh biggest issues on the Dodge dana 44's and a truss wont help that.
Ill see if I can dig up some pics of trussed Dodge axles for ya.

·
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
v10sport said:
Jump your truck much?
I hope not. :)

I was just trying to think of ways to make it stronger since this is the truck I have to live with (no upgrading to a 2500 for me). I figured it would be pretty easy to weld somthing on top across the tubes. I know, it doesn't cure all the weaknesses of a D44, but I figure as easy as it will probably be to do, then why not go ahead and do it. I'm just not sure the best material to use (steel strips, steel box tubing, other???). I think a strip would be easiest to shape to fit the entire length of the axle, including over the differential housing. Just not sure how thick of material would be strong enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.