DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Hemi QC and i was wondering if it was smart to take the muffler off and run the pipes straight off of the cats out the back? if so, would an electric cut-out still be a good investment? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Why not just take the muffler out and put a piece of straight pipe in it's place. Single exit pipes are better for performance on the hemi trucks. Also if you mean cutting the pipes at the cat and having nothing after i think the interior resonance would be a bitch after a short while. I took the muffler off my truck and the sound is second to non IMHO.

·
Registered
201 Posts
mcreech said:
I have an 03 Hemi QC and i was wondering if it was smart to take the muffler off and run the pipes straight off of the cats out the back? if so, would an electric cut-out still be a good investment? thanks for any help.

Probably your best bet would be to put a cutout before either the cats or the muffler. If you put it before the cats, you're going to need some o2 sims. If you put it before the muffler, then you won't need anything else. Before the cats = super loud, before the muffler = loud.

I would do this before running straight pipes off the cats. The constant loud noise would get old to me after a while. With the cutout, you could open or close it anytime you want, going from quiet to loud with the flip of a switch.

The only way a cutout would benefit you if you ran straight pipes off the cats would be to put it before the cats.

·
Registered
130 Posts
the barrel looking thing is the muffler, the muffler looking thing at the end is a resonator

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help. i will probably get the cut-out first and see how that sounds. i will try and get it installed before the cats, if not i will just put it before the muffler.

·
WYOhemi
478 Posts
Hemi5spd, im thinking of getting the muffler cut out of my truck and was wondering how itd sound. is it really loud or annoying like on the highway on long trips? did you lose any mpg or hp? i also heard that once you let off the gas it will make that popping noise and i dont want that. does your truck do this or not? sorry for so many questions but i dont want to do this if im not going to like it. thanks a ton!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ive got no muffler on mine with a dual 3 inch pipes coming out before the passenger side tire. As far as sound its fairly loud when accelerating, and extremeley loud when floored. It has a nice tone and very deep rumble when accelerating,and a few people have told me that it has the same sound as a nascar when floored, just not as loud. My friend has a flowmaster and his truck no longer sounds loud to me at all if that helps. Also i havent experienced any popping noises at all when letting off the gas. Hope this helps.

·
WYOhemi
478 Posts
thanks for all the info redhemiram03. did you know any loss in performance by taking off the muffler? also, did your gas mileage stay the same or what and is the exhaust loud in the cab to where it gets annoying on long trips? thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
I noticed a tiny loss in low end but picked up a little high end. As for the in cab noise, there is a low rumble but not anything too loud. Ive never been annoyed by it, but it all depends on how loud you want it to be. Im filming and editing some video of it as we speak so ill try to get the posted asap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.