DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Badass Registered User
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dads truck is a 99 with a 360 and eating oil and reving up at idle and when driving like it wants to shift gears. The dealer replaced the pleanum gasket and seemed to fix all the problems... However they said they never found out why it was reving up but with the new gasket seemed to fix it. About 10,000 miles later it is reving up again, mostly in over drive when it seems like it wants to shift out of overdrive into third and back down and up and down... Turned off the overdrive and does it in third just not as much... does it when its at a lower rpm cause once u get it over 80 it really doesnt do it anymore.

I am completely stumped, i know this can't be very good for the tranny and i checked under the hood and there didnt seem to be any vacuum leaks everything seemed tight... need some ideas :help:

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
sounds like you're feeling the TC lock/un-lock, which usually indicates a faulty TPS. Also, when was the last time the IAC was cleabed ?

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
I have a similar problem with my truck revving to about 2k rpms at idle if it hasn't been driven in awhile. TPS??

·
Badass Registered User
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much is a throttle postion sensor and where is it located? The truck only have 60 thousand miles and really hasn't had much done to it other then the manifold :gr_patrio

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
left side of the TB, sorta black & gray. Has 3 wire plug on it, & 2 allen/torx screws.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. I have a manual tranny and when I shift to Neutral from 5th gear, or any gear, the RPM's fall, like they should, then for some reason it sometimes rev's back up to about 1,200 RPMs or so. Is this also related to the TPS? Or Plenum? Or something completely different?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I replaced my TPS at 58,000 miles. I had intermittent engine RPM raises at idle and at highway speeds. All the symptoms disappeared after the TPS replacement. Understand that the most commonly used throttle positions create wear on the corrasponding TPS positions. The worn TPS positions give erratic signals to the ECM leading to the 'odd' RPM changes. After changing the TPS the ECM will run the engine at a fast RPM until it learns the changes needed to work with the new one. I think it took 3 days for mine to idle back to normal at approx. 30 total miles of driving.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
How much does one of those run? And can you get one at say, advanced? Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just bought one yesterday at checker in Hawaii for around $43.00

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
you can try disconnecting the TPS, this will prevent the TC from locking (among other things).
This will tell you if you're feeling the TC or not.
You can also get a multimeter and test for open spots in the range of travel on the TPS.

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
chizzle1 said:
you can try disconnecting the TPS, this will prevent the TC from locking (among other things).
This will tell you if you're feeling the TC or not.
You can also get a multimeter and test for open spots in the range of travel on the TPS.
Are you on drugs, LOL. The PCM will freak if you don't have the TPS plugged in. I don't think the truck will even run with that disconnected.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Are you on drugs, LOL. The PCM will freak if you don't have the TPS plugged in. I don't think the truck will even run with that disconnected.
no, and yes it will.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.