DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Truck,Woman,Mud=Good Time
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She left me alongside the road(sounds like a country song lol) the other night, overheated being on the highway for about 20 minutes doing about 80mph. I let it cool down and got to a gas station, bought some overpriced coolant and took care of it. This is the second time she's done this to me in the last few months. What's up with using all this coolant? It doesn't seem normal to use up all this coolant, I've gotta refill the coolant tank about once a month, and I keep a full jug of the stuff in the truck all the time just in case.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
When it overheats, do you just fill the tank back up or are you making sure the rad is full too? Any leaks?

When it's running properly, what kind of temperature does it normally run? Does it fluctuate at all or just stay put until it just one day overheats?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Are there any check engines lights for cyl missfire?

·
Registered
201 Posts
are you the kind of guy willing to modify your truck to get better reliability, or are you into just keeping it stock?

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
I'd have a look under and around the engine for leaks. The lower rad hose might need a new clamp. Old ones are known to rust and come loose. When you're around a auto parts store, grab an ounce or two of UV dye and buy a UV bulb. Clean the under body as best you can, add the UV dye to the coolant and then you'll be better able to pinpoint the leak. Be sure that your pressure cap works as well. A new one runs about $20 here in Ontario, so you can expect to pay less in the States. I would assume that the thermostat is OK, as it wouldn't leak coolant, and even a fail-safe T-stat will still operate but the engine will overheat once you run low enough on coolant, no matter what type or rating the thermostat is.

Worst case is a bad head gasket. If your oil turns into a chocolate milk-like substance, then that's one of the signs of a bad gasket; coolant is mixing with engine oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.