DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back with same problem, 1996 ram 1500 4 years ago truck would not start. Unhooked the exhaust from the engine and started right up, replaced cc and muff. About a year later it started just shutting off at random times. Replaced fuel pump, every sensor known to man. Truck ran for about 6 months then started the random shutting off, now it is back to not starting. Went this morning and unhooked exhaust again and walla started right up. Oh yeah I even tried a new comp in it ,that made it backfire and run worse, put the old one back in. I am at the end of the last thread on my rope.

What would be the most likely culprit of the cc being clogged enough to do this again. Or does this say something else that the truck starts after the exhaust is removed? Would it clogging up have cause the random shut downs. And there has been no cel codes.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When he unbolted the exhaust from the headers it started right up.He changed the plenum gasket about a month ago, I am wondering if the bad plenum caused the cat to fail again. But im still not sure about the random shut downs, if the cat was getting super heated could it heat up the cp sensor to get hot and shut down ? Excuse me if I seem a little ignorant , I try to research this stuff for my husband as he works a lot and sometimes doesn't have time to do it!

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Remember what happen when Eddie Murphy did this ...

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Start the truck with the exhaust off enough to let the exhaust escape. Then after it is running bolt it back up and see if it stalls. That should tell you if the cat is plugged.

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Do you run the truck for short trips? Less than 10 miles daily? If so the engine does not get up to temp properly, the oils can by pass valves/ seals and collect on the CAt core causing plugs, the banana does sound like the culprit!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Do you run the truck for short trips? Less than 10 miles daily? If so the engine does not get up to temp properly, the oils can by pass valves/ seals and collect on the CAt core causing plugs, the banana does sound like the culprit!
Potatoes work better.
Don't ask how I know.
;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Was just the plenum gasket changed, or was the kit used that has thick plate also? Waste of time to just do gasket... will fail again soon. I have to do mine also cause oil is being sucked into engine. Anyway, have you to simply run engine and feel for exhaust flow at tailpipe? Have someone rev engine... should have strong flow. Use cardboard so you dont burn your hand. Also, I have had issues with the neutral safety switch preventing start. Does the engine crank but not run, or not even crank? The switch is on auto transmission, or maybe somewhere else for manual tranny.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Why would you take the entire exhaust off? Just pull the upstream o2 out to rule out a clogged converter.
Cuz most times when a cat is clogged removing just the 02 isn't enough to allow the vehicle to start/run. 5/8 or smaller hole just isnt big enough considering there's 2 2" pipes entering the cat.

·
That Weird Guy
686 Posts
Check your plenum, as bigblu3 has said. Get the aluminum pan from eBay. Do that, replace the cat and your pre-cat O2 sensor and I'd wager that it will run just wonderful when you're done.

While the intake is off, you might also look at your cap/rotor on the dizzy if it hasn't been messed with in a while. Easier to get to with that hunk of aluminum out of the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok back again guys, unhooked the exhaust again and waa laa the truck fired right up. Cat was in pieces. Oh and changed the plugs. My problem now is, after replacing the cat and hooked it all back up there is a constant popping comming out the tailpipe. Truck is idling fine, just the fairly loud popping. could this be a leak where I hooked it up or something more sinister going on.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I would double check your plug wires and that they're going to the right plugs. It's a common mistake if you do more than one plug at a time.

:imo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep you were spot on with the plug wire thing, fixed that. Now I jumped in the truck to test drive ,it died a few times then I guess went into limp mode almost didnt get back home. No cel light , so now Im back to square one.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Did you use the same muffler that the broken kitty was mounted on? Does the tailpipe have good air-flow coming from it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I used the same muffler, yes there is outflow. Im so at my wits end with this truck cant even get it to run long enough to trade it in. Are tranny problems the only thing that will put it in limp home mode? And no codes at all? uggg

I have had the tranny rebuilt several years ago also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok truck is worse now, it sounds like a v6 or something it sounds like it is all choked up.I took out the o2 sensor and it sounded a little more like it should ,but it doesnt even want to run.Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
About a year later it started just shutting off at random times. Replaced fuel pump, every sensor known to man. Truck ran for about 6 months then started the random shutting off,
Now I jumped in the truck to test drive ,it died a few times then I guess went into limp mode almost didnt get back home.
I know you replaced the plugs but when was the last time the cap and rotor replaced? What condition is the battery in? A weak battery/bad connection can cause it to not want to idle/stall. When it stalls it like turning the key to off or does it slowly die? How many miles on it? Just because you replaced the sensors doesn't mean they are working. I had a new crank sensor go bad in less than a year.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.