Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm having a problem with me 97 Dodge Dakota sport. Whenever I turn the key and it starts it dies. When I tried again I put my foot on the gas and it stayed on, but the second I let go it died... made kinda like a sputtering sound. The last thing repaired was the O2 sensor, it was replaced.. not sure if that could have anything to do with it. I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas or suggestions as to what it could be. Any help would be apprichiated. thank you

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
I THINK, there is an idle control sensor around or in the side of the throttle body. Which engine do you have? Sometimes these go bad, or can get carboned up and not give a good reading, which will in turn stall out at idle.

Also, a bad battery will also cause this. Sounds crazy, but a battery with an erratic or low charge cannot power all the vehicle electric systems and will cause a stall. By gassing it, you are charging the battery enough to make it run, but at idle it cannot hold its charge well enough to power the vehicle's electronic sensors and computers.

So it could be a couple of things, hope this helps some. I would check that idle control sensor and possibly charge your battery if you have a charger. Did it seem sluggish when turning over?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yup check the battery I had a bad battery and my truck did the exact same thing would start and die. If I took my foot off the gas at all it die. Sounds like the battery to me check it out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The FIRST thing I'd check into/replace is your IAC sensor. Your truck would do exactly what you described, with a dead IAC sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.