DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. This is my first post here and I really need your help asap. I just tried installing a bulldog remote starter on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, and now the truck won't start at all. It will crank with the remote and with the key, but niether will start it. I really have to get this truck back on the road tonight so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Cummins Power
179 Posts
Try checking the fuses on the remotes harness if you didn't already.

Brad

·
Registered
61 Posts
i know nothing about remote start or alarm systems but i know some alarm systems have an immobilization feature, where it wont turn on the fuel pump unless you press the right buttons or something, try hitting unlock on the keypad first. just a thought. hope it helps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies guys. But I figured out the problem, when I was moving wires around I found a place that had rubbed through the coating on a wire and was touching a metal bracket under the dash causing it to short out. Thanks for the ideas though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So was the installation pretty easy? I'm thinking about putting one in, haven't looked up any yet though. Recommendations?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the install was very easy, this is actually the second one I've put in a Ram. I put a remote starter and keyless entry system in my Grandpa's 94 Ram and it only took like 45 minutes. If it wouldn't have been for the stripped wire in mine it would have only taken about 30 minutes. All I have ever put in are bulldog security systems, they seem to work very well. They even have wire charts that tell you which wire to splice into, where it is located, and the color.

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
as a professional remote start installer, bve very careful with the bull dog remote starters. I have seen some of the affects of them first hand. They are a cheap alternative, and therefore the parts that are used are cheap. DEI (ie, python, viper, valet) is a much better alternative.
Just my .02

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what kind of problems have you seen? I know cheaper isn't always better, but you've got me curious now.

·
Former Ram owner
425 Posts
One of the ones that I've seen shorted out, and burned the entire module out. Luckily it only charred a couple wires that were around it, but things could have been a lot worse. The install was done correctly, just the unit itself shorted out internally. Others have just stopped working all together, causing the starter to remain disengaged (on their alarm versions). Other than that one, nothing was really major, but I just personally do not trust them. I live by, and will always live by Directed Electronics. Especially with the Lifetime guarantee on their python/vipers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.