DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 1500 318 V8. My problem is that it will die after starting up sometimes and then it will also die when driving it at lets say 25 MPH or slower. It will start up again and run. Also when you are driving at slower speeds the tach will dive down under 1k rpm and come back up and sometimes it will die. I feel it is also a little underpowered as it has trouble towing 2 snowmobiles over 50-55 mph over hills. Any idea what the problem with it dieing maybe.

Any info is appreciated

·
DR. Mopar
24 Posts
its a 318 dude, you need some upgrades to release the incredible power of the mopar. Also check to see if you converter is partially plugged or an idle air control valve issue.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
^ I like your jeep sig turbo :)

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
for the variance in RPMs check the IAC...as for the lack of power, check the cat.
You didn't mention how many miles, gears, tires, etc. so I'm assuming it's stock?
The easiest way to get more power from a stock 5.2 is to get rid of the stock air box and get an open element setup.
$25 for an edelbrock Proflow 1002, takes about 20-30 minutes to install. (see pic) Good gains all around, but you can really feel it from 3500 rpms up.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The truck has 285/75/16 tires on it as far as gearing I'm not sure. I do have the K&N filter setup on it. The fellow I got it from had said he had just put a new cat on it.
Any other tips.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
overtheedge said:
The truck has 285/75/16 tires on it as far as gearing I'm not sure. I do have the K&N filter setup on it. The fellow I got it from had said he had just put a new cat on it.
Any other tips.
yeah, get rid of the K&N, it doesn't flow much better than the stock panel.
The 285s with stock 3.55:1 rear gears will make the truck feel a bit sluggish.
I bet if you check your speedo, it will be reading slow by about 8 mph at 60mph actual. Check by measuring you time between mile markers while your speedo says 60. If it takes you less than a minute, you are reading slower than actual traveling speed.
How fast do you want it to be and how much are you looking to spend?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want it super fast, just feel like it has some balls. I had a Chevy 350 stock on 35/12.5/15's that was faster and had more nuts than this truck. I'm also looking at adding more lift and 36's, which I know I will have to regear for. But for now just give it a little more nuts.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I feel your pain, overtheedge.
I have the 360. My last truck was a Chevy 350 with 33 x 12.5 x 15's that would light the tires up and scream down the road sidways on demand.

My Dodge only competes with semi trucks speed-wise. It has no balls whatsoever. Gutless.
Uses more fuel too.

·
REDNECK SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
if you want 'more nuts', go with the air filter setup I posted about in post #5.
Get a magnaflow high flow cat setup, $160.
Get a 52mm throttle body, $250-$350.
Get headers, $220-$550.
Get a B&G custom flash($350-$450).

It will be far from nutless, my little 5.2 will lite up the 33s and is putting about 220 to the ground, about 260 at the crank. Will have hard number when I get to the dyno or when the track reopens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will have to look into those things Chizzle. Anyway thanks for all your suggestions and hopefully I can get this thing non nutless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.