DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NASCAR met with owners from the Camping World Truck Series at the Kevin Harvick, Inc. shop on Thursday to discuss potential procedural changes for this season.

Chief among those discussed changes was the possible elimination of green/yellow flag pit stops, multiple sources told FOXSports.com.
The sanctioning body wanted to open dialogue to discuss cost saving measures to ensure the health of the series this season since the truck count — and the sponsored truck count in particular — has diminished drastically.

When the truck series first debuted, the series was able to limit expenses by having teams pit once at halfway under a competition caution and have fewer men over the wall.

A similar plan could be in the works that would bring trucks down pit road according to the order on the track. Teams would be allowed to pit and the trucks would then return to the track in the same order, similar to a TV time out in football or basketball.

Last season, 27 teams drove full time and 11 of 25 races had a full field of 36 trucks starting. While no confirmed counts have been released yet, it appears that number will be lower as some teams have shut down during the offseason.

The full impact of the economy likely won't be felt by the sport until after the season opening weekend at Daytona.

"I don't think we know the reality (about the economy) until the thing pans out. And we probably won't know the reality until about halfway through the season." Lee White, president and general manager of Toyota Racing Development U.S.A., told reporters on a conference call Wednesday afternoon. "Things change so quickly, so rapidly, I don't know what it all means until we get to Daytona and certainly when we get to Fontana and Vegas. Daytona is Daytona. It's going to have a full field. It's going to have enough cars to fill out the field certainly in the Cup race and probably the Nationwide race. I understand that the truck race will be a little short. The real test is when we get to Fontana, when we get to Vegas and find out how many teams show up and make the trek out west."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.