DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is wanting to bog quite a bit on acceleration. Once I get it up to speed it runs fine, but when I first give it the gas it wants to bog down, stumble. Feels almost like its running on 4 cylinders and then it will catch right up. It hasn't been that long since new plugs, wires, cap, etc., but I pulled a few plugs to check them out anyway and they all looked good. I've been looking for vacuum leaks but haven't found any. I'm wondering if it is all in the carb? Its an old Carter AFB Competition Series 600/650 CFM. What should I be checking on the carb to see if there is a problem with it? I'm almost tempted to buy me a 500 CFM Edelbrock and be done with it. Thanks for any of your suggestions on what else I can check.

·
Registered
608 Posts
D-bug,

The problem is almost certainly a faulty or stopped-up accelerator pump system. You can probably get a rebuild kit from Edelbrock (which now wholly-owns the remnants of Carter Carburetor Division) or from an auto parts store (give them the number from the flange ear).

It can also be aggravated by a disconnected (or improperly-located) vacuum advance supply (or a just plain faulty advance unit). The hose should go to the vacuum port on the front of the carb situated just to your left of the passenger-side idle mixture screw as you face the carburetor from the front of the truck.

Jeff

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff. I checked the vacuum line to the advance. It's good and is hooked right where you said it should be. I was kinda thinking accelerator pump also, but wasn't sure. Do the rebuild kits have the parts to repair the pump also?

·
Registered
608 Posts
D-bug,

Yep. They come with a new leather-clad pump plunger and new discharge check needle (at least the Walker brand kits which I buy do).

They don't give you a new intake check valve (located diagonally at the bottom of the pump well), though. Remove yours and clean it, then be sure that you can only suck or blow through it one way.

Also, be sure that the floats are not set too low. If that driver's side float is not set high enough, the pump cylinder won't have sufficient "draw". Generally, original specs are recommended for float settings.

And be sure that when you assemble the new pump, you put the strong spring on top (held on by the retainer) and the weak spring in the bottom of the pump well!

Jeff

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks very much for your help. If I don't get a new one, I'll probably go ahead and rebuild this one. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.