DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i got a 1996 dodge 1500 4x4 with a 5.2....when i crank it up in the morning it is about 1500 rpm as 3 mins go by it drops down to 5oo rpm,and the truck shacks like i got a bigger cam in it but i don't,my heater works good but every 5 mins it will jump to the defroster then back to the front vents.as i am in OD the truck seams to not run right like i got no spark. but when i put it to the floor it peps up and runs good,i have replaced the cap,rotor,plugs and wires,new injectors all 8 of them,new coil,,...i have 200,000 miles on the truck.i replaced the valley pan gasket also..the IAC works it goes in and out when i give it gas.i cleaned the entire intake....so do ya have any ideas:ugh:ugh:ugh

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been chasing what sounds like this same rough idle problem for a while now. When it happens, do you get a pretty strong sucking noise through the intake (IAC passage, specifically)? I've done the plenum, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, cat converter, rear o2 sensor. I've found that this is fixed by shutting the truck off and immediately restarting. It won't come back until the truck is shut off and allowed to cool down.

The defrost problem sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere, but they could be related. I've sprayed starting fluid along all the vacuum lines I can get to, but no change in RPM, so no vaccuum leaks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
rich_kildow, I have 98 ram 1500 with the 360. I had the same problem with it sucking air and a rough idle. It also would loose power and buck and cough when I tried to go. I could shut the truck off and start it and it would run ok. I replaced front and rear 02 sensor's and never had the problem since.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, sounds like the upstream o2 sensor is all that is left to change before I'm just going to have to live with this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i had a similiar issue, but it didnt go away when i turned it off and back on again, mine was 6 cracks on the left head and 7 on the right, hope this is not your situation, just my personal experience

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
1500rpm's on a cold start i'd say iac...o2's r ignored on a cold start or it should be...ive had the same issue as the other mentioned with both my rams...i just changed out the pre cat with a NTK o2 and the post cat o2 is less then a yr old...still does it just not as bad or if i goose it then it starts , shut her off and she idle perfect or just drive by the time i hit a block it great...have a autometer A/F on the pre o2 and the issue starts as the o2 becomes active and swings to lean....it also gets better as ambient temp's rise...now that its winter it does it more often...the crank/cam sensors are the only 2 i havent replaced..or pcm...maybe the pcm is reading the o2's before there up-to temp ? switching loop's to early ? also if i shut her off n re start it take longer for the o2 to become active on the gauge...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.