DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
don't dodge it ram it
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here lately i have been toying with the idea to convert my truck to 4 wheel drive based only on the fact that i get stuck in the least little bit of snow or mud. however is there anything i can do to make this truck pull it's self better and still keep it 2 wheel drive. my wife and myself both love the gas mileage we get and because i do alot of highway drivin i would like to keep it that way. can you guys please help.:bawl:

·
46re(tarded)
352 Posts
Do you have posi/locker? That would help a lot.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
with a good set of tires and some weight in the back you can do what most 4x4's do the main advantage of 4x4 is the majority of the trucks weight is over the front axle giving you more traction also with 2x4 you have to use the pedal on the right alot more

·
don't dodge it ram it
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my tires still have alot of tread life left how much weight should i put in my truck for me to get better traction

·
Registered
198 Posts
I usually throw about 8 70 pound sand bags in the back of mine that really helps out.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
i put 400-500 pounds in the back of mine 98% of the time i run in 2x4 i only use the 4x4 after im in over my head or on icy roads i grew up with 2x4 trucks so im use to driving that way and realy dont have any trouble

the major factor is your tires if your running straight street tires your very limited on where you can go

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
2x4 is a board, a two wheel drive vehicle is a 4x2.:gr_patrio

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Everyone is correct with the advise. Traction & weight. Regardless of the tread remaining on the tires, they need to be designed for the weather conditions. As far as the weight, keep it over or just ahead of the rear axle.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I reckon. Come to think of a 4x4 can be both too.:D :gr_patrio

·
Registered
34 Posts
about the getting stuck thing i got a 97 sst 2 wheel drive and i live in ohio and i have had no problem with getting stuck or anything no weight in the back and on 20% tread left.

·
don't dodge it ram it
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
well where i come i aint talking about main roads i am talking wet muddy back hills gravel roads. and in mud plus i dont have limited slip so that even more reduces my truck ablities. I am assuming your indicating it might be the driver thats gettin it stuck however i can assure you i know how to drive in the winter and in the summer. and untill i got this truck i have NEVER got stuck before. the fact is that the truck is either to lite in the rear or it just dont have the power to pull itself out of a wet fart. However seeing as though the truck does got some torq and i can haul a FULL truck bed of wood to my father in laws house and it still do 70 on the hwy completely loaded i can eliminate that its the power or torq. so with that being said it HAS TO BE that the truck is to lite in the rear when its not loaded and without a limited slip differential it becomes demobilized by that fact. Oh and one more fact is that KENTUCKY gets More ice than ohio each year ohio comes out with way more snow having lived in dayton and columbus and west alexandria myself during winter time i know this to be true and when you add harsh eliments like ICE, MUD, and of course SNOW which can sometimes even push 4x4s its understandable that the truck struggles however what i am talking about is the fact that the TRUCK will get stuck in my front yard if the back wheels get in the grass just the least little bit that is my gripe about the truck if it wasnt for that MY truck would never hear me say one bad word about it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
everything said so far holds pretty true but i really think as far as the mud issue its a combo of the open rear and a non aggressive tire the winter weather id definatly throw some weight in the bed

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
one old time trick if you have an open diff in the rear and only 1 wheel is spinning apply pressure to your parking gradualy this will put equal resistance to both wheels and both should then start to pull and it works call it a poor mans limited slip

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
I think the main problem would be that is it not a limited slip. 2 wheels spinning is better than 1 no matter how much weight you put in the back.

·
RamRoddin'
793 Posts
well where i come i aint talking about main roads i am talking wet muddy back hills gravel roads. and in mud plus i dont have limited slip so that even more reduces my truck ablities. I am assuming your indicating it might be the driver thats gettin it stuck however i can assure you i know how to drive in the winter and in the summer. and untill i got this truck i have NEVER got stuck before. the fact is that the truck is either to lite in the rear or it just dont have the power to pull itself out of a wet fart. However seeing as though the truck does got some torq and i can haul a FULL truck bed of wood to my father in laws house and it still do 70 on the hwy completely loaded i can eliminate that its the power or torq. so with that being said it HAS TO BE that the truck is to lite in the rear when its not loaded and without a limited slip differential it becomes demobilized by that fact. Oh and one more fact is that KENTUCKY gets More ice than ohio each year ohio comes out with way more snow having lived in dayton and columbus and west alexandria myself during winter time i know this to be true and when you add harsh eliments like ICE, MUD, and of course SNOW which can sometimes even push 4x4s its understandable that the truck struggles however what i am talking about is the fact that the TRUCK will get stuck in my front yard if the back wheels get in the grass just the least little bit that is my gripe about the truck if it wasnt for that MY truck would never hear me say one bad word about it.
I read thru the thread and didnt see anyone comming close to saying much about yr driving bro. Looks like their just pretty much trying to answer the question you asked ya know?

·
ALPO
163 Posts
A little trick I learned a ways back,...... when I shovel the drive after a snow I put the snow in the truck bed. It adds needed wieght and provides means for snow removal. When the weather warms up, the snow disappears. Of course stopped fast after backing up will clear the bad as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.