DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Sport, has run flawlessly for the 2 years I have had it, never stalled out once and always started on the first turn of the key - My luck has run out.
Started yesterday, was loosing coolant pretty badly on my way to work, managed to limp home thinking it was the waterpump, but it was the bypass hose. Major pain to get to this thing as most of you probably know, had to take off the shroud, fan, belt, AC unit and the large bracket which holds the AC ,,, Got it all back together and no more coolant leak but later on that evening the truck started to randomly die out. Not chugging or bogging, its like you flipped a switch and it instantly stops running. Restarted good enough so I limped back home, within 7 miles or so it died out about 5 more times.
So I'm on my street but it died again with cars to either side of me, stuck in the middle of the road and this time, it wouldn't start. So I pushed it so it wasn't blocking the road and I got some starter fluid and sprayed the throttle body intake, no joy. Sprayed it again and also beat the bottom of the gas tank, thinking the pump was on its last legs, it started and I made it to the back of my garage.

Today I had a guy come over to diagnose it, he ruled out fuel issue, had a steady 45 on the fuel rail. We put in a new distributor and rotor but the stalling issue persisted. He came to the conclusion that it must be the crank position sensor so installed a new one of those., We thought the problem was solved, started fine, revved up fine and idled fine. But later on I took it for a road test and same damn thing, I'll make it a block or so before it cuts out, then it dies 2 or 3 more times just driving 2 blocks to get back home.

I'm out of ideas, not much of a mechanic in the first place. This guy is and it seems he is stumped. IS throwing no codes, I wish it was. I still think it is possible the fuel pump is dying, or maybe even some bad fuel, but my guy thinks its an electrical issue. Could I have messed something up fixing that bypass hose ? Since this problem started out of the blue right after that repair, you'd think so, thats the 1st thing I thought of but we have checked and rechecked everything in that area, everything is tight. Battery is 12.5v, 13.8v running and has no problem cranking so the starting/charging system seems up to snuff. So if anyone has any ideas, would like to hear them.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both, since I haven't been able to drive it much, not much chance for experimentation. Last night when I took it for a road test after installing the crank sensor, it died out 5 times just trying to go around 2 blocks and make it back home. Started back up nicely each time. I tried remote starting it at various times after that, first few times it would start and run for about a minute then die out. After a while, wouldn't start at all. Tried it once today, started right up but cut out after 10 seconds. So I'm at a loss how to proceed, would like at least to confirm fuel or spark, IMO still could be either. Another guy is supposed to stop by later, I'll update if anything new.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, today started off with it not wanting to start at all, cranking just fine. I did 2 things, and I really have to get into the habit of trying 1 thing at a time, but I swapped a fuel relay for an identical horn relay, then I went and banged on the bottom of the gas tank. It started, before I got too happy I checked the horn, it worked, so more than likely the relay swap had nothing to do with it. I drove around probably about 8 miles or so, was running fine for most of it but towards the end started bogging and showing signs of wanting to die. So I headed back home before it did, now I'm back where I started, cranks fine but won't turn over.

Going to try banging the tank again, if it starts I think its safe to say the fuel pump is on its way out, as I originally suspected but my buddy, who supposedly knows what he is doing, ruled out. Do these trucks have fuel filters outside the tank ? I don't think so but another buddy swears that they do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts