DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While backing up at working, My truck cut off on me. Here is what happened. I had the steering wheel hard to the right and was backing up when it just cut off. Moved the shifter into N then back into Reverse and the truck started back up, but would not move. So I put in Park and turned the key off then started it back up and the backed up in the parking place with no problem. I have had it a few times while backing up in the driveway but nothing like today. What the hell is causing this?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Had iot do it once coming out of the driveway on our 2002 back a few
months after we got it

Hasn't done it since

Had the idle flash done back in 2002 . Don't know if that affected it

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dodge has an across the board problem with most of their vehicles and stalling. If you get one that doesn't die your really lucky! The most common dealer "fix" is to flash the PCM. If that doesn't work they might start throwing parts at it until the problem goes away. There are so many sensors on everything it's hard for them to track it down. There is a pressure sensor inline with the power steering that tells the computer to kick up the idle speed under high line pressures. The computer also tries to buffer engine speed when shifting gears (automatics) so shifting to reverse with high power sterring assist could confuse the computer. All this info is just IMHO. :D Good Luck

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
AS I have posted in the past SCREW all these computers

Most of this crap is using computers for the sake of using them

Bring back the GOOD OLD DAYS when you could work on and trouble shoot your own vehicle

I would be willing to forsake performance ( if it was really necessary ) in 0rderto get rid of this BS

Programmers at Dodge have lifetime job security just coming up with flashes and then new flashes to fix the problem the previous flash caused

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mine cuts off when backing into my driveway sometimes too. It's really embarrassing
because my neighbor has two fords, and he's just waiting for a flaw to show up in the
dodge so he can snicker about it. :WHT:
Anyway... I read somewhere that there's a pressure switch in the power steering line
that causes the computer to boost the idle speed if the steering hits the stops. I
guess it's supposed to keep the engine from stalling, but it doesn't always react
soon enough. Does anyone know if there is a condition where an overload might force
the transmission into neutral? :dunno:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.