DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 w150 with a 318 and i put a four bbl carb and intake on it and hooker headers and when i cruise down the road and the let off the throttle it back fires bad and sometimes stalls. And now it backfires all the time when just idleing and adjusting the carb now doesnt seem to do much at all. any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I had a truck that would do the same, there are many causes for this but mine would backfire even at idle...come to find out one of the valves was burnt so bad it had a "V" cut into it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It could be a burned valve, but it could also be a bad bushing in the distributor, a loose distributor, or a stretched timing chain. Most of the time a backfire is a timing issue, did you adjust your timing to match the new carb, intake and headers?

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
To lean of an idle mixture will cause backfire on deceleration. This is hard on the exhaust valves as a lean mixture burns slower and is still burning over the exhaust valve when it opens.
Also recheck the header bolts as the gaskets crush and will let air into the exhaust causing unnburned fuel to ignite just like the AIR pump system does.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no i didnt check the flow but i figured since it had a two barrel the pump is smaller so i was going to get one for a 4 bbl. I dont have the smog pump anymore either and all the plug wires are good.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The fuel pump for a stock 4bbl is the same one for the stock 2bbl... Unless you went huge with your carb, your fuel pump will most likely not be the culprit. Did the truck backfire before you did the swap? If not, then you probably have either a timing or vacuum leak issue. If it was doing it before the swap then Speed and others would be correct about the burned valves and or worn rocker arm....I'm betting it's your timing.

Anyways what Carb did you install?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put a carter thermoquad carb on. And it wasn't backfiring before i swapped it out and i adjusted the timing and i got it to the best way it would run and it still does it and i adjusted the carb to wear its all the way rich and it runs the best but it still acts like its not getting enough gas.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I put a carter thermoquad carb on. And it wasn't backfiring before i swapped it out and i adjusted the timing and i got it to the best way it would run and it still does it and i adjusted the carb to wear its all the way rich and it runs the best but it still acts like its not getting enough gas.

Was it a used or remanned Thermoquad? They have a bad way of having leaks on the plastic part of the carb, they get a little warped and will never seal again.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Yeah it's probably a carb issue.

Edit: Although, 4bbls take a good bit more timing than the 2bbls sometimes. Try setting the timing up to around 14 or 16 and see if it gets better (assuming you have it at the normal 10-12 degrees initial now).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.