DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope this is considered a drive train issue. I bought a 1997, 1500, 2wd, 5.2, auto to tow my boat with. The truck runs great but the cruise doesn't work. I looked under the hood and everything is hooked up. I can't find a fuse in either box. The light doesn't come on. The air bag light is on too. The previous owner says the airbag light was on when he got it, and he never tried the cruise.
Can anyone give me some places to start the troubleshooting process?
Does anyone know how to reset the bag light?
Is there a wiring harness to the steering wheel that could be unplugged?
This is my first Mopar since a 1963 300 I got from my bro's in-laws in 1971.

· Registered
2,172 Posts
Check all vacuum lines for the cruise control. Many people on here who have experienced problems found the leak under the battery tray (where acid can leak down and eat through the hoses). If it's not trying to engage at all, I don't know what else aside from fuses that it could be!

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
Even if the vac lines are leaking / disconnected the light on the steering wheel will still come on.
I'd start with the fuses and work out from there - since your airbag light is also on I'd assume it's either the fuse or the clock spring.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got any idea which fuse? I checked them all twice. What the heck is the clock spring? If you'll point me in the right direction I'll figure it out. Thanks for the replies.

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
If the horn doesn't work either(in other words,everything on the steering wheel doesn't work) it is usually the clock spring.

#8 in the pic

· Registered
1,625 Posts
hmm. i have a faint sounding horn and my cruise control doesn't work but the light comes on.. does that sound like my clock spring?

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
sony224422 said:
hmm. i have a faint sounding horn and my cruise control doesn't work but the light comes on.. does that sound like my clock spring?
no, sounds like a weak horn and a vac line issue.
My OE horns were clogged with mud - and sounded like a deer fart - since the genius engineers located them right infront of the front fenderwell. I replaced them with 3 highway blasters and it now sounds like a truck again.

If the light for the cruise comes on it's usually a vacuum leak.
I am attaching a pic that shows a junction where you can check for vacuum on each leg and figure out where the leak is.

Attachments

· Registered
1,625 Posts
chizzle1 said:
no, sounds like a weak horn and a vac line issue.
My OE horns were clogged with mud - and sounded like a deer fart - since the genius engineers located them right infront of the front fenderwell. I replaced them with 3 highway blasters and it now sounds like a truck again.

If the light for the cruise comes on it's usually a vacuum leak.
I am attaching a pic that shows a junction where you can check for vacuum on each leg and figure out where the leak is.

Lol at the deer fart, cus thats how mine sound, assuming thats what a deers fart sounds like :thatfunny

i want a new horn, i've never realized how much i want to honk at people when im in my truck lol. Silly people cutting me off while towing is starting to drive me crazy, crazy enough i might install train horns :IDEA:

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've heard lots of sounds come out of a deer, but never anything I thought was a fart. I do have a Black Lab who sounds off every time she jumps up on the couch though.

The horn works, but that doesn't mean that it's not the clock spring, right? If I can't find blown fuses I'll start working my way down through the steering wheel. Thanks for the replies and the diagram.

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
sony224422 said:
Lol at the deer fart, cus thats how mine sound, assuming thats what a deers fart sounds like :thatfunny

i want a new horn, i've never realized how much i want to honk at people when im in my truck lol. Silly people cutting me off while towing is starting to drive me crazy, crazy enough i might install train horns :IDEA:
I thought about it but couldn't bring myself to spend $150 - $200 on a set of horns.
The ones I purchased from NAPA are two tone, 2 low tone horns and 1 high (I had 3 plug-ins for horns on mine?)
Each one is rated at 65 dB, and all 3 are now mounted on the pass fender well so as not to become coverd in mud as quickly.
I think I spent maybe $60 all together.

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
sony224422 said:
If the light comes on, it is not the clock spring.

· Registered
1,625 Posts
chizzle1 said:
I thought about it but couldn't bring myself to spend $150 - $200 on a set of horns.
The ones I purchased from NAPA are two tone, 2 low tone horns and 1 high (I had 3 plug-ins for horns on mine?)
Each one is rated at 65 dB, and all 3 are now mounted on the pass fender well so as not to become coverd in mud as quickly.
I think I spent maybe $60 all together.
hahaha i see. i still think i might get OEM horns and train horns for fun. seriously, some people deserve it :D

and thanks tactransman. i guess i need to find the vaccumm leak

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I get no cruise light, air bag light is on, horn works, door key is not the same as ignition key, so the thing was probably torn apart and a different switch put in. I won't be using this truck all the time so I'll just wait until I have a plan in place and then tear in to it. Thanks for the information, and any more is welcome.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I changed the clockspring today and the Air Bag light is off but the cruise light still doesn't come on. What do you think is the next step on the cruise? I still can't find a fuse that is designated for the cruise, but I checked every fuse in both boxes and can't find one blown. I also know that the vacuum lines are leaking because the heat cycles back and forth, from floor to windshield and everywhere in between, when you step on the gas. If there is not enough vacuum will that keep the light from coming on? I started on the vacuum lines but ran out of time. They sure didn't want the battery tray to fall out. Do the posts down through the fender have nuts on them? I got 2 bolts in the fender, and 2 nuts down through the tray off and the damn thing is still no where near to loose. Thanks again, for all the help on this truck.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm gonna bump this once, in case someone who can help me missed it.

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
have you tried engaging the cruise to see if it's the LED on the wheel?
The light should come on regardless of the vacuum sitation.
You may want to check & see if you have power to the switch, if I recall correctly there are only 3 or 4 bolts holding the switches onto the lower part of the steering wheel. There is defintely a fuse for the cruise control, if I was stateside I'd go pull the fuse panel door and tell you which one.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Power would come to the switch on which wire? I took some pics that I will try to post. With the engine running at idle, both the black wires on the clockspring harness are grounded and there is no power to either white wire, this clockspring is not identical to the original in that it has two plugs where the original has a single 4 wire plug. The manager at Advance Auto assured me that this is indeed the right one and the wires are to be attached as shown. I watched them crosscheck the number from the old one and it came up with this clockspring as the replacement. I reversed them to see if it made any difference and it didn't. Do you have to reach a minimum speed before the switches on the wheel would get power?

I have checked all the fuses, both by probing them for 12V in the box, and removing them individually and checking for continuity. I am assuming that the #10 position fuse that is marked N/A on the box cover/guide is the cruise fuse. Either way it is good.

There is no LED on the wheel, just this little bank of switches across the bottom.

Thanks for the reply and I hope next year you ARE stateside for Thanksgiving.

· ******* SPACESTATION
5,527 Posts
Mine is a 97 also and it has a small green led right above the on/off button for the cruise control on the steering wheel. It has the 4 (i think) square type buttons along the bottom of the steering wheel.

While you need to be traveling 30-35 mph for the cruise control to engage, the on/off light should come on when sitting still. Some vehicles vary slightly, the 98 Cherokee (RIP work truck) had to actually be traveling 30 mph before the light would come on.

Do you have continuity at the on / off switch?

Thanks, I hope so too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.