DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off my skid pan to get to the rear bolts but I still can't seem to get a good angle on them. The fronts werent bad.. Is the trick to take off the transmission cross member or will it just pull out of the transfer case? Or is there a combo of tools I can use to get access to the bolts?

·
Trucks Rule
490 Posts
The 2500's SFA might be setup differently, but on the 1500 4x4's you remove the front bolts holding the d-shaft to the front diffs pinion mount, then back the shaft off the diff enough to clear the raised cup on the pinion mount, (the shaft going into the t-case uses a slip yoke, so it can be slid down the front t-case output shaft) once the front is clear just lower the shaft enough to pull it out of the slip yoke.. the shaft just pulls off the t-case output shaft. There is a clamp holding the shaft seal on the transfer case side but it just pops off. Hope this helps

P.S. Make sure you index the shaft so you remount it exactly the way it was. A sharpy marker works well.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so I don't need to remove the back bolts first?

·
If only I had more $$$
3,700 Posts
Are you trying to remove the front driveshaft from the transfer case to the front axle?

If so you need to put the truck on stands and the truck in neutral so you can spin the front axle to gain better access to the rear bolts, or remove the front bolts first so you can spin the shaft that goes into the transfer case.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes thats the one.. i guess i will just need to find a swivel socket to get in there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thats what you will need. A 5/8 swivel. All you need is one front tire off the ground to turn it, to gain access to all four bolts. Once you have a tire off the ground you will need something as "back up" to get the bolts to break apart. Either that or lower the wheel back down for each bolt. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.