DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 ram 2500 4x4. The plastic trim that runs along the side of the truck is starting to peel and chip and it looks like crap. I was thinking about removing all of it for good, or just replace the pieces that are damaged. I would like some opinions on weather or not it would look worse without the plastic trim or if I should spend the $$ (I am on a very limited budget) to replace the damaed sections.
Thanks for your opinions.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
take a heat gun to it, remove all off one side then see if you like the way it looks.
Either way, you have to remove the old molding to replace it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
i took all my molding and badges and everything off before i got it repainted, and i thought it looked a hullava lot better without um back on, but that is just my opinion

·
Registered
625 Posts
one thing when i was takin the trim off, the glue or whatever it is was a pain to get off.

·
Registered
357 Posts
how hot do i have to det the trim? blow dryer or heat gun? what did you use to remove the glue?

thanks in advance

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
be careful with the heat gun, I have one at my shop and it gets hot enough to run sodder and burn feelers.
(you don't want to damage the paint).

·
Binksman
180 Posts
I used a heat gun in one hand and CAREFULLY peeled the trim off the truck. Afterwards I had to spend about 3 hours with a plastic library card and a rotary tool with a buffing wheel to get the remaining glue off. I also think the truck looks better without the trim, but on my tailgate (where all the trouble started) the paint was noticably faded and you can still see shadows of what was there. Mine's a northen living 96, so you may see more or less fading than I do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.