DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Silver Bullet
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i just found yall off of google, and thought i would give it a shot here, i just purchased a dodge ram 1500 With a 3.7 liter v6 it trembles when its cold and not so bad when it isnt, i tryed turning the key 3 times and it gave me a misfire code on cylinder 3, but im thinking thats a old code because i unplugged the battery, and drove it around and it diddnt do it again so i know its a old code, would yall recommend putting new wires and plugs on it, and in that case where the hell are the plugs and wires lol... the truck has 61 thousand miles on it :VHOT:

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Shoot, man, I shiver when I'm cold ;) Plugs and wires are a start... but supposedly they don't need plugs 'til 100K. Are all the plug wires on tight? The plugs are at the ends of the plug wires, but you knew that already. I'd guess they're down low a bit, above the exhaust manifolds. The Hemi's plugs/wires are in plain sight, so I'd have to look at the manual to locate the plugs on the V-6.

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
I think the 3.7L and the 4.7L are similar in that they have an individual coil for each plug. You should see 3 electrical plugs on each side of the intake manifold connected to gray cylindrical things. Just unplug them one at a time and I think there is a single bolt the holds the coil in then it pulls out. Down in there is the plug.

I would think that if the code popped up earlier, I would be suspect. It could be a plug, or maybe one of the coils is faulty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had to change my plugs too when I bought my truck. It had a misfire on cyl 1. changed the plugs, fixed it right up. It still trembles slightly but most vehicles do. I've tried fuel injector treatment, it seems to help a little. Oh yeah about the plugs. You didn't list a year for your truck so assuming its an 02 and up, Your truck doen't have all the plug wires and stuff in the traditional sense. you have the new coil on plug setup. If you remove the black resonator box over the engine you will see 6 black round things with wires going to them. and a nut holding each one down. these are you coils, each cylinder now has its own. under each coil is the spark plug. before removing the coils you should already have a set of socket extensions and compressed air. office equipment air duster ($5 at walmart) will probably work if the engine isn't too dirty. work slowly starting with the back cyls and work forward changing one plug at a time, you should be fine if you don't get in a hurry. when you remove a coil, shoot some compressed air in the hole to blow out any debris so when your remove the plug nothing will fall down in the engine. (If anything falls down inside the cyl. your pretty much screwed unless you feel comfortable with removing the cyl heads. not me.) anyway a set of extesions or swival connectors works great because some places you have to connect short sections together a piece at a time to get the sparkplug socket all the way down in the coil well because a single long ext won't make some of the clearances. the rear two cyls were the only difficult ones. wipe off each coil and inspect it. remove the sparkplug examine it to determine the health of your engine. My plugs had worn down through normal wear expanding the gap causing the misfire. after you replace all the plugs and coils, your about 80% done with a tune up. change the pcv valve, air cleaner and some other stuff I probably forgot like check all your fluids etc. I'm not a certified mechanic in anyway so please seek further assistance if your not already familiar with this stuff. Hope it helps.

·
The Silver Bullet
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i appreciate it, damn dodge sure does make it difficult to do your "once easy" tune up lol, appreciate it guys :) by the way the year model is a 04

·
The Silver Bullet
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also the dealership said they washed the engine, so ya.... i don't know if that has anything to do with it, but like i said it only has 61 thousand miles on it so would yall wait, it runs good just trembles a bit.. i guess thats just a v6 for ya right?

·
The Silver Bullet
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
by the way, what type of plugs should i buy ?

·
15,912 Posts
It is really not that hard to change the plugs in your motor. The beauty is that you never have to replace wires. Look in your manual. It should tell you what the replacement plug is, if not just go to Advance Auto and they can look it up for you. Good Luck!!

·
Serenity
5,947 Posts
JeffB2002 said:
It is really not that hard to change the plugs in your motor. The beauty is that you never have to replace wires. Look in your manual. It should tell you what the replacement plug is, if not just go to Advance Auto and they can look it up for you. Good Luck!!
I used some NGK Iridium IX plugs when I change mine back in March - working fine since then. They are about $5.00 each right now at Checker Auto and it appears the 3.7L and the 4.7L use the same part.

I got my truck used and when I changed the plugs the gaps were waaaay too wide. In fact when I put in the new plugs I threw a code I think because the engine was running so much more efficent that it threw it off kilter or something. I reset the PCM and all was fine after that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
All mine hate 'the cold', but it is a relative statement, as the cold here is -10+ with a constant 20mph wind. The best is the 81 with the non comp 318. I don't blame any of them cause when I'm out working in that, touching ice cold metal, I only get about 30 minutes. Any more and I risk tearing the skin on my hands up again.
The hemi acts like my bulldogges on bath day, just a no go until they get going. The 4.7 shakes like a little kid that stayed swimming a few hours too long. The 318 starts and fails to keep idle once or twice and then alls good[unless I stomp on it while it's still cold].

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.