DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just for gits and shiggles, our 5th wheel sits the truck level with it's 1900 lb pin weight plus the 140 lb hitch and 100~ lb tool chest. Empty it sits like the 1500, about 2.5" higher in the rear. Front doesn't change. If you look at my sig pic, the parking stripe under the truck is even with the bottom of the truck. Sounds like your truck is set up right. I know it's hard to not want to tinker with it but, don't fix what ain't broke! And don't become hyper-sensitive looking for something to fix. It'll drive you nuts!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
StevieD said:
I'm right at the limit. 28.5 ft Keystone 5th wheel. 7100 lbs dry and probably about 8500 rollin down the road. I put air bag suspension on the back to eliminate any squat. QUOTE]
OK, not trying to nust your buts, but, have you weighed the whole rig?? I would honestly be concerned about your total rear axle weight on the truck. The GAWR, GVWR and GCWR are completely different things. You can be within the towing capacity and below total vehicle weight limits, but severely overloading the rear axle and tires. With a fifth wheel of that size (which is about the same as MINE), you are going to have a more hitch pin weight on the rear axle than you would with a tongue pull trailer hitched up with an equalizing hitch. You really should go to a set of scales at a truck stop or other place with separate axle abilities and find out what you are putting on the rear axle fully loaded. Happy motoring and be careful.
By the way, my 3500 just barely sits close to level and just barely touches the overload springs sitting on level ground fully loaded with all of our gear in the trailer and bed. I know I am the opposite end of the extremes, and that my truck is way more than I NEED for my trailer, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Be careful with that Gross Axle Weight Rating, exceeding it can prove as deadly as exceeding the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or Combo Rating.

·
Registered
141 Posts
2 weeks ago I towed my new 31' Dutchmen Tundra with my 2004 1500 Q/C 4x4 Hemi, although it did work to tow the long trailer, it never got warm or appeared to be in any trouble. That was of course until a Semi passed me while I was going 60mph and my knuckles were as white as my old Navy uniform. Thus my poking around various forums and looking at feedback. Considering the amount of sway I had, there was no way a anti-sway kit was going to cure it (I used the friction type at first) So I cured it by picking up an '06 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD. That removed about 80 percent of it. I will say this, you can tow with a 1/2 Hemi, it just doesnt feel very good once you hit a certain LENGTH. The numbers were there with the weight, trailer coming in loaded @ 7955# from the scale. Stopping and everything was fine, just not the wind. I did all the mod stuff to my Hemi, I loved it, I was WOT at least once a day, too bad it scared the hell out of my wife while towing. At least she let me get a new truck out of the deal. I am new to this site, first post. I am actually a Ford guy by heart, but the last couple years Dodge has been winning me over. I spent a lot of time on the Ford owners web forums as I also own a 77 F250 hi-boy as a project. Lots of Cummins bashing, but not NEARLY as much as the Duramax. I look forward to taking part and dropping lots of money on my new Dodge CTD. Note: If you have the means, I highly recommend buying one.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Stick around and we will show you how you can smoke those poor PowerJoke owners :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I plan to. Right now I am just smiling everytime I turn the key. What a huge difference. Even my wife likes driving it. I love this truck!! :D

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
rchewitt50 said:
I plan to. Right now I am just smiling everytime I turn the key. What a huge difference. Even my wife likes driving it. I love this truck!! :D
Gee, don't tempt me like that.

Welcome!! I'm a former Ford man, too. Liked my F-150 Lariat a lot. Only NEW vehicle I've ever owned. Wish I would have modded that truck like I've gotten into my HEMI.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a 1997 F-150 Lariat also, bought it new. At the time it was the best truck I ever owned. In 2001 we found we were having our second child and the extra-cab just wasnt going to do it for me so being the Ford guy I am (was) I bought a 2002 F350 4x4 v-10. Tough truck, but it ate A LOT of fuel and my little baby girl's head was bouncing around like a rag doll everytime I hit a bump. My 5 year old though it was fun. That lasted until I drove the 2004 Ram, which after giving the engine a serious test won me over. Dang, too bad that truck was so light duty. Oh well, I am feeling a little more mature now, no flowmaster 40 series, no air raid, no gibson headers or 20 inch custom rims, but the whole going up the hill and actually having the truck shift up under load and hearing that intercooler is really helping.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
rchewitt50 said:
I had a 1997 F-150 Lariat also, bought it new. At the time it was the best truck I ever owned. In 2001 we found we were having our second child and the extra-cab just wasnt going to do it for me so being the Ford guy I am (was) I bought a 2002 F350 4x4 v-10. Tough truck, but it ate A LOT of fuel and my little baby girl's head was bouncing around like a rag doll everytime I hit a bump. My 5 year old though it was fun. That lasted until I drove the 2004 Ram, which after giving the engine a serious test won me over. Dang, too bad that truck was so light duty. Oh well, I am feeling a little more mature now, no flowmaster 40 series, no air raid, no gibson headers or 20 inch custom rims, but the whole going up the hill and actually having the truck shift up under load and hearing that intercooler is really helping.
Ha, same happened to me. We adopted my son Michael at 3 months old and couldn't put him in the extended cab. Liked the look of the Dodge and the idea of the Hemi and traded the Ford for the Dodge. Like different things of each of the trucks. I just turned 37 yesterday and I'm starting to be a mini-gear head for the first time in my life. Having a blast tweaking this truck and getting more out of it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
Stick around and we will show you how you can smoke those poor PowerJoke owners :D
I wouldn't be too concerned about those over rated Powerstrokes. Look at the mileage, trailer weights and mph up the grades. They aren't running 70mph in O/D as they would lead you to believe. Imagine at max towing capacity... :help:

Trailer Life Sept 2003
F-550 PSD CC towing a 13,605 5th wheel,
11.3mpg solo, 8.0mpg towing.
Took a 7% grade at 50mph 2600rpm

Trailer Life April 2004
F-350 PSD CC towing an 8180 lb TT
18.7mpg solo, 9.5mpg towing
6% grade 60mph at 2500rpm

Trailer Life March 2001
F-550 PSD CC towing 15,040 lb 5th wheel
11.1mpg solo, 8.3mpg towing
7% grade 35mph at 2800rpm

Trailer Life December 2002
F-550 PSD CC towing 10,141 lb 5th wheel
10.9mpg solo, 8.2mpg towing
The towing report concluded,
8% grade at 22mph 2750rpm
Trailer Life October 2005

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Now that last one is REALLY sick. A 7.3L doggin down to 22MPH!!! on a 8% grade! It needed some help in the air or fuel department, something was seriously wrong, and I mean other than saying FORD on the front!!!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Even my old 6icks oh toted the fiver up a 6% grade 2 1/2 miles long at 65 MPH at the top no problem. Of course, it was in the shop the next week for surging and turbo lag issues- again.... But, when it ran right, I have to say, it was good and quick. It just lacked the grunt the Cummins has, the new Cummins is hands down stronger in all aspects except racing quickness empty.

·
Registered
141 Posts
At this point, I don't even care what the Ford does (or doesn't do I mean) I live at the top of a very steep long hill. I just nailed it with my 31' TT in tow to see how we did and it railed. It almost wasnt even funny, there was a time when I thought I was going to rip the trailer apart. 50-60mph was not even an issue This is very very very cool. Ok.. So what's the first thing I have to do for more power that wont rip up the transmission? Please don't tell the wife I asked that question. It is like this, the thing just gets up and goes, but it just doesn't do it like my Hemi did. That thing screamed, the CTD is a whole different deal. You dont hear it really working that hard at all, but BOOM your going 70, just like that.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
CAI, Exhaust and a small programmer, under 75 HP

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just throwing in my .02

I tow an enclosed V-nose H & H 16 ft. It's actually 19.5 feet with the nose and tongue. It weighs 3200 itself. I use the Prodigy brake controller as well. I set it everytime I leave the house hitched. I pull roughly 5500lbs plus the gear in the bed and 4 people. ~7000lbs and I have the 05 Hemi 4x4 quad cab. It pulls very well. Has no issue holding 65 on hills and rolls 80 fairly easily. I also use a sway controller and I am about to install the mini air bags that go between the leaf springs and frame for added support. The rated towing capacity on my truck is like 8800lbs.

·
Hmm, I wasn't speeding
431 Posts
Out of curiousity how well does the 4.7 pull a trailer of substantial size.

·
15,912 Posts
Depends on what you mean by substantial size. I have a 32' TT that weighs 5660 dry. My 4.7L pulls it with little problems. It does work harder going up some of the hills around here in the Roanoke Valley(Appalachian Mtns). No real problems to speak of though. Here is a pic of it to give you reference.

Attachments

·
Respect My Hemi
241 Posts
Holy smokes that's a long trailer for a 1500, but I like it, looks like you got bunks, great for the kids. And you have a center rafter for your awning. I've got one too and have had a few people come over to look at it, I didn't realize it was a rare option. I guess there are many long awnings out there.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
nice setup Jeff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My $.0185 (Canadian 2 cents...)
After upgrading to a 6000lb (loaded) 26' trailer, it was determined that my company-supplied GMC (don't even say it) 1500 w/ 4.8L wasn't going to cut it (and I was ready to quit the job anyhow), so I picked up a new '05 2500 QC 4x4 Hemi. I've blown a cylinder on a 4.6 Ford pulling a smaller trailer, so I figured a little overkill never hurt anybody. All my friends pull similar trailers, but I've got bigger:
-brakes
-springs
-coolers
-hell, just a bigger truck!
With the 3/4 suspension, I hardly feel the trailer. I only notice it on long uphill grades or into strong headwinds due to my 3.73 gears.
Here's a pic of my rig "camped out" during a snow storm... :help:

Attachments

·
15,912 Posts
Roaddane said:
Holy smokes that's a long trailer for a 1500, but I like it, looks like you got bunks, great for the kids. And you have a center rafter for your awning. I've got one too and have had a few people come over to look at it, I didn't realize it was a rare option. I guess there are many long awnings out there.
I thought it was a bit long, but the 1500 handles it very well considering it's a 1500 if you know what I mean. Yes....it does have bunks and the kids really like it. Luckily when we bought it used, the center rafter for the awning was already installed. The dealer said it was mostly for traveling so the awning does not bend and flex with the bumps in the road. I have not used it yet while parked.

Thanks Mojoman for the compliment.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.