DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had one of those "brain damaged" moments over the weekend....bottom line is I'm now shopping for a new motor for my 2005 Power Wagon. Local dealer wants @ $10,000 for a rebuilt long block and the labor to do the swap. Wouldn't mind spending that much and getting more horsepower (6.1 or 6.4?) but it seems kinda stiff to end up with a stock engine.

Anybody have any suggestions?

·
1 TIM 6:12 Fight RIGHT!!
2,160 Posts
Sorry to hear about your LOSS. OK we MUST have details on the "brain damaged" moments over the weekend!! I know it will be painful bringing up the event but you will feel SO MUCH BETTER after you talk about it. And I'm SURE it won't be the stupidist (sp) thing anyone else has done. Who is quoting you 10K, Lithia or Anchorage Chrysler and what about this being waranty work, it's a 2005 RIGHT?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Details, Details.

·
2,160 Posts
obstinate2 said:
Had one of those "brain damaged" moments over the weekend....bottom line is I'm now shopping for a new motor for my 2005 Power Wagon. Local dealer wants @ $10,000 for a rebuilt long block and the labor to do the swap. Wouldn't mind spending that much and getting more horsepower (6.1 or 6.4?) but it seems kinda stiff to end up with a stock engine.

Does the MOMENT have anything to do with a water crossing and your FAILED attempt at a water injection mod?????

·
Yea, It's a Hemi
6,864 Posts
what they have been saying ^

·
Yeehaw!
1,397 Posts
Yes, we must hear details.

·
Inertia ROCKS!!!!
12,164 Posts
obstinate2 said:

$10,000.00!!!! You can get a 5.7 short block from make it mopar for $1312.00 and Heat heads for $1500.00, another $150 for a 6.1 cam. So for $3000+shipping and you installing it, you can have a ton more power then stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Does the MOMENT have anything to do with a water crossing and your FAILED attempt at a water injection mod?????"....Good guess

New open element (AirRam) air filter + unexpected hole at my usual river crossing = hydro lock.....blew the side out of the block. Not sure if the heads are ok yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Who is quoting you 10K, Lithia or Anchorage Chrysler and what about this being waranty work, it's a 2005 RIGHT?"

Southern Alaska Dodge in Kodiak. No warranty......as it was my fault (and no I'm not going to try to get my insurance to cover it either).

Yes it's an 05 with an automatic

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
Yep, had the same thing happen to my ram. During the great El Paso Floods of 2006, my Hemi drank water, thanks to a custom intake, not unlike AirRams. Total carnage of the bottom end, sounded like a cummings diesel.

Repairs wore around $7500 or so.

My insurance covered the repairs.

I did ask about upgrades, like heads, torque converter, 6.1 block and so on. Dealer said anything they do that is different from stock could and would void my warranty. So I just let them replace the engine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
:werd:

·
2,160 Posts
That REALLY SUCKS!!! Trying to get something together yourself is probably out of the question, unless you are independantly wealthy!! ;) Shipping to Kodiak is probablly worse than here in Palmer. Any chance you could find a wrecked 3rd gen Ram around the state with a good Hemi motor in it? Keep us informed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.