DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the better transmission for my 03 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi? I have the 545rfe in it right now but I've noticed it's getting worn down time for a rebuild. I would like to get something that could handle speed and torque as well still be able to tow can y'all give me some suggestions and why's to your pick thank you.

·
Red Trucker
2,044 Posts
What's the better transmission for my 03 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi? I have the 545rfe in it right now but I've noticed it's getting worn down time for a rebuild. I would like to get something that could handle speed and torque as well still be able to tow can y'all give me some suggestions and why's to your pick thank you.
Better as in a different trans or better as in where to get a replacement? You're pretty much stuck with that that trans unless you're willing to do/pay for some major modifications...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes, I too am curious just what he thinks will drop in there and integrate with the PCM firmware. Sorry dude, that's the transmission you're stuck with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the exact same pickle. I'm one of those who likes to upgrade parts after they break. I rebuilt my rear end with a torsen and 4:11s when that went like 5 years ago. I was hoping I could get a monster transmissions "monster in a box" rebuild kit. But those are 05 and up for some reason. Any one know what the difference is between an '03 545rfe and an '05? I don't understand why there's nothing available for the 03. I'm thinking about just getting a reman and a 3000 stall converter. Lol reman has a 5 yr warranty. Thoughts?

·
Red Trucker
2,044 Posts
Computer module setup. 2003 has a separate TCM (non-tunable) and PCM (barely tunable) while 2005 has an integrated PCM that does both engine and trans function (with both being very tunable). This is why people who want to do more serious mods to their 2003 will convert to the 2005 PCM and harness. As for the transmission itself, there is absolutely no difference between a 1999 45RFE and a 2012 545RFE. Even the 66 and 68RFE are evolutions of this trans. Those of us with modified hemis generally keep a low mileage junkyard trans on hand for when the time comes. You don't have steep enough gears to warrant that stall speed and unless your engine is built/modified for that powerband all you're going to do is create extra heat and cook your trans (which will shorten its life) and burn a helluva lot more gas. Also higher stall speed converters in these trucks when street driven and used as trucks tends to frag the lockup clutches after a few years (ask me how I know).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts