DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a 2002 Durango 2 wheel drive,with a 360.It has 43000 miles,and the other day the check engine light came on,and now the transmission will sometimes hang in 2nd gear,then it will shift,but it will not go into overdrive.This is my stepmothers vehicle,so its not driven hard,and has never towed anything its only been on the highway.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've seen alot of governor pressure solonoids and line pressure sensors ,assuming you have a 46re trans,go bad in transmissions that came into the dealership I work in.They do the same hangin' in 2nd and crazyness you've described.They are pretty easy to change being that they are mounted just inside the trans pan bolted to the valve body,and removal of the trans or valvebody isnt needed.Its just diagnosing them that's tough sometimes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your answer.You are exactly right.We got it fixed about 3 months ago.That was the problem.They wouldnt warranty it though.Cost us 450.00.Sure hope it doesnt happen again.Thanks again. Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shifting and stalling problems in Dodge stratus.

I recently bought a 95 dodge stratus at auction. I got it cheap but it had a few problems. One problem which recently manifested itself was that after driving the car for just a little while, it would down shift to second gear and would not shift up again. If it was a hot day or, you were in slow moving traffic, it would stall as well. The reason this is happening is that the primary cooling fan is not running when it should. The engine/transmission computer is located inside the engine compartment, just to the left and right in front of the engine (an aluminum box with fins and a large electrical connector). Why Dodge insists on putting the computer here is beyond me, they probably saved five or six bucks per car. Most manufacturers put the computer in the passenger compartment, under one of the seats, or inside the dash. The primary cooling fan must begin to run right after the engine warms up. It blows directly on the computer to keep it cool. I suspect that my temp sensor is faulty and will check it out. You may want to see if your fan is running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently bought two Dodge Stratus automobiles. Although your durango is not a stratus. I am pretty sure that Dodge uses similar computers in all its models. In fact I am sure of it, I have looked at many of them lately. One of my stratuses (a 1995 model) has a similar symptom to your durango. It was the transmission computer that was at fault. This was proven by substituting a transmission computer from my 1997 dodge stratus. This solved the problem and putting the bad unit in the '97 made it act up the same way as the '95. When the car was firrst started, it would shift just fine then, after it warmed up just a bit, it would start to shift strangely. After 10-15 minutes (less time if it was a hot day), the transmission would roughly downshift to second and stay there. Feel your transmission computer (after you figure out where it is located). If it is really hot to the touch, it is faulty. There may be four five or even six computers ('black boxes') in your durango or, there may only be two or three (depending on the design. In my stratus, there is a body computer, an ABS computer, an engine computer (ECM) and a transmission computer (TCM). Hope this helps... Godfrey

·
Registered
3 Posts
Paul, you must have gone to a dealer. I would rather have a tooth pulled than have to do business with a car dealer. For future reference, you can usually find an ECM or TCM at a junk yard for between $50 to $100. Godfrey

·
Registered
146 Posts
Keep in mind, too, especially on Stratuses and Intrepids and the like, that the cars can go into limp-in mode. In that mode you may be stuck in second gear (Intrepids, Stratuses and the like), or stuck in the first three gears (Grand Cherokees, Durangos, Rams, etc.) and it won't shift into overdrive.

It's often a bad O2 sensor or speed sensor or throttle position sensor, etc. That is, it's not always an expensive repair -- resetting the connector or replacing the bad sensor makes the computer happy and you get normal shifting behavior again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Transmission Problems 01 Dakota

I have had the same problem with my transmission. RAM02 did your engine stall at a stop from this transmission problem? Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.