DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here goes...1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, owned since brand new. Aamco rebuilt the transmission. After I got it back, it was making a noise like when you run over those rumble strips on the highway.

It seems to happen when you hit a bump or change in the road surface and can happen in any gear although it's most common in the lower gears. I took it back, but because it was intermittent, they didn't hear it, AND they didn't hear the whine from second to third. Of course it got worse and finally they could hear it. They replaced the transfer case (forks were all bent). As soon as I got it home, it started making the same noise.

I've spent about 3 grand on these repairs. Something is obviously wrong, but taking it back to them is like asking them to take my money and make a fool
out of me AGAIN. Could the original transmission repairs have caused the problem with the transfer case?

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong with this? This is really painful and I seriously regret giving my business to Aamco. The owner won't even call me back.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
So you paid to have the transfer case fixed and it still makes the same noise? Sounds like they owe you a refund for the transfer case work. If it is doing the same thing,stand up for yourself and demand them fix the problem and explain why they fixed a transfer case that did not have a problem!
Did you get to see all your "bad parts"? If not demand to see them.

Could the original transmission repairs have caused the problem with the transfer case? No,did you even have a transfer case problem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I didn't see the bad parts. The guy couldn't find them. Yeah. They told me the noise was from the transfer case. It's a little ironic that they rebuild the transmission and all of a sudden I have this other major problem. I'm sure it's not impossible but unlikely.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
I have never seen a fork bend in a transfer case. If they don't have parts,they probably didn't replace them. I would complain BIG time! Make them be accountable for their work. There are too many shops out there that are "parts replacers" and make the customers pay for them not knowing what they are doing. Are they a member of ATRA? If so go here,get ATRA involved.

Go here and check: http://www.atra.com/source/members/member_search/search.cfm

Here is their "work ethics" http://www.atra.com/Content/NavigationMenu/GoldenRuleWarranty/MINIMUMREBUILDSTANDARDS/default.htm

Complaint form:
http://www.atra.com/source/tsc_forms/complaint_form.cfm?section=consumers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. I imagine I will have to take them to small claims court and I really dread it. I wish I knew more about cars or was about 10 feet tall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, this might be the right time to say I'm a 5'0", 53 year old female. I've put over 189,000 miles on that truck. It felt like I had balls when I drove it, but now I just feel like...oh wait, people with balls don't talk about feelings. Never mind...lol!

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Do you have another person (man) that can go in there with you if you would talk to them again? It is sad but true that some shops take advantage of a woman by herself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep. The guy down the road's son (40ish) was visiting his parents and offered to drive me the 45 miles to drop it off and pick it up. They blew him off too. I have a guy friend coming down tomorrow to follow me back up there and bring me home. He's not very intimidating either, but I really don't know a lot of people. Ugh. Yes, and the older the woman is, the more they do it.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Did you check to see if they were a member of ATRA?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I did a site search on ATRA but AAMCO did not show up. I'm not surprised. Check out AAMCO on http://www.ripoffreport.com/. Really long list of dissatisfied customers. A lot of BBB complaints also. ATRA probably woudn't let them join. Certified Transmission is in the same area and is listed with ATRA. Guess what? I can not find a single complaint about them anywhere. I was thinking maybe transmission repair outfits in general get a lot of complaints because of the cost, but that is not correct. Certified Transmission must be doing something right.

I'm going to take the truck back tomorrow. How in the world will I know if the next thing they want to replace will be the thing that actually fixes that hellish noise?

Re - Angry woman - don't you have to be their mother or wife for that to work? LOL!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
UPDATE - Transmission, Transfer case or ???

UPDATE -
I took Ol' Green to the Merriam AAMCO today since that is where the owner works. He wasn't there, so I explained the problem to the manager. The truck whines between second and third, and the noise underneath when the pavement surface changes.

He said to come back in an hour. I came back and he told me the truck wouldn't start and they had to use a jump box to start it. Also said it wouldn't stay running. WHAT? The best thing that truck does is start and run smooth! I said show me. We went out, he started it 3 times. Each time it fired right up and ran fine. He told me I definitely had engine problems. Was this a gullibility test? I don't understand why it worked for me and not for him, until I was standing there?

On the first test drive, they heard a slight noise and thought it might be a "towington" (sorry, not sure) bearing that is accessed through the OD but they would have to put it on the rack and do some stuff to verify. But they didn't hear the rumbling noise.

Just got off the phone with him. He had two guys test drive it and I guess they heard the noise this time. Said they put it on the rack and the upper and lower ball joints are loose. Said the tops were VERY loose and the bottoms were within tolerance but still loose. $706.14 for both, or about half for just the uppers.

They are going to look at the bearing from the OD section.

Is it really possible, to have all these problems at the same time??????

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Tell them to fix the transmission and nothing else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.