DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been doing some research on where to put the sending unit for my transmission gauge. I have seen everything, cutting the line and using a manifold system , parts from home depot with cutting the line to putting it in the test port on the tranny. My question is that there is no mention of just disconnecting the line from the tranny to the cooler at the tranny and putting in a adapter and Tee that will accomadate the sender. Is this a bad idea or is it just not possible. Please chime in especially if someone has done this or if there are some unseen problems with doing it this way. I plan on putting in a pillar gauge in the next couple of weeks. Thank You in advance.:gr_patrio

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
Here is just a thought. Rather than putting it in the oil line or tranny. Clamp it with a hose clamp to the oil line if there is a metal section. Then insulate the line and sender. You can use that wrap around insulation they use on A/C expansion valves, any outfit that does industrial A/C has the stuff. It would be a little slower to react but you don't have to worry about a leak.

·
Boost, you say!?
1,304 Posts
Hello everyone. I have been doing some research on where to put the sending unit for my transmission gauge. I have seen everything, cutting the line and using a manifold system , parts from home depot with cutting the line to putting it in the test port on the tranny. My question is that there is no mention of just disconnecting the line from the tranny to the cooler at the tranny and putting in a adapter and Tee that will accomadate the sender. Is this a bad idea or is it just not possible. Please chime in especially if someone has done this or if there are some unseen problems with doing it this way. I plan on putting in a pillar gauge in the next couple of weeks. Thank You in advance.:gr_patrio
This is what I did, spliced a tee into the trans outlet line. Cost around $10 for a brass tee and bushings.

·
Boost, you say!?
1,304 Posts
I cut the tee into the short piece of rubber line on the passenger side of the radiator.

·
15,912 Posts
Here is just a thought. Rather than putting it in the oil line or tranny. Clamp it with a hose clamp to the oil line if there is a metal section. Then insulate the line and sender. You can use that wrap around insulation they use on A/C expansion valves, any outfit that does industrial A/C has the stuff. It would be a little slower to react but you don't have to worry about a leak.
Not only would it be slow, it would be so inaccurate. ;)

·
Indy Fan
676 Posts
I took the easier and safer way of paying an off-road shop $100 to weld the sender into the tranny pan. Because our tranny pans are somewhat thin he welded an extra piece of metal on the inside of the pan on the driver side and tapped the sender directly through the thick weld. It's a nice and clean looking set up and hasn't leaked a drop. Just find someone who knows how to weld really well. Good luck!

·
15,912 Posts
Well.....when Mag-Hytec finally comes out with the transmission pan, I am going to get one of those with a port already tapped for the sender.

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
Not only would it be slow, it would be so inaccurate. ;)
without the insulation it would be but thats how they sense the temp in A/C systems. The insulation wrapped around the whole works keeps the outside air temp from influencing the sensor but it would be accurate.

·
OFFICIAL CHEBBY HATER
1,389 Posts
or just use the service port that is on the tranny. it a 1/16 fitting and can be had by searching for a fuel rail for a ford.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Transmission Temp

Thanks. I have read about this. However when I look at my transmission there seems to be only two test ports. Would any of the test ports work and if so how do I go about looking for a fuel rail. What part am I specifically looking for?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Transmission Temp

Sorry. When I say what part I mean what part from the fuel Rail.
Also I have a 2005 ram with the 545 Transmission and 5.7 engine.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
i just cut the line and picked up a tee from home depot. it has never leaked and it has been there for about 3 years. i actually could not even tell you how it is set up because its been that long, and i have never had an issue with it.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
When you guys are cutting and T-ing the line are you having to flange the ends or using brass ferrells?

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
Thats the ferrells. THX.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I used the following on my truck. I placed it above the cross member at the transmission so that it would be protected from ground debris.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ATM-2287&N=700+115&autoview=sku

It has been on since June/July of 2004 and I have not had a problem. It works well.

If given the chance to do it again, I would use the port on the transmission though.
thats how i did it. its been a couple of years now. no issues. doing it like this is supposed to give you the most accurate reading.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.