Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im planing on swapping out my 3 speed auto trans for an NV3500
5speed manual in my 2003 dodge ram 1500 van.
in the spring on 2015 iv got a good price on the tranny from AME transmissions
$1495 for a rebuilt with a 5 year warranty
so my question is i know ill need a
clutch assembly
fly wheel
peddle assembly
floor mount shifter
longer drive shaft
gear linkage from shifter to tranny
but is there anything i might be missing or frogot?
i want to start getting all the parts before a start this project if anyone can help
me with the list it would be great.

p.s. does anyone know if ill have to change my computer because i would imagine all sorts of obd codes going off like torque converter/lockup

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
AFAIK they haven't put manual trannies in these vans since the 80's and that was before PCMs were used. I'd guess you would need a PCM out of a manual pickup. Also, the 318's and 360's were balanced differently (external vs. internal,i.e.harmonic balancer vs. weights on the torque converter), so using a manual trans may cause problems with balance depending on which engine you have. You'll have to search the forums for that info 'cause I forget which is which.

The shifter goes straight into the top of the NV3500, so no 'gear linkage' would be needed.

Lastly, check on the clutch actuation as I believe the old Dodges used a hydraulic system so you would need master and slave cylinders. All that could come from a pickup.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Wasn't aware anyone still used a 3 speed auto (really need to get out more, lol).
... Sounds like you'll need to find/make room under dash for pedal/s and on fire wall for master cyl.
... Will need trans mount and and adapt/fab cross member; also need boot of some sort.
... Need to cut hole for tower, and possibly raise floor/fab hump.

... Mention motor for greater response.

... Will the 3500 tower/shifter be too low, or too far rearward to be shift able/comfortable?
... DK motor/gears/tires or intended use (or if 3500 is wide or close ratio version); but after all that work and ca$h, hope your not wishing it was the stronger, and/or even lower ratio 4500.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What size engine do you have? I just got a 1999 b1500 5.2l (hello btw!)
I am also curious to converting to manual tranny.
I think I may buy a used nv3500 manual transmission and see if someone in Tijuana can do it for cheap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys thanks for all the good info. Still gathering all the parts. Planing on starting when the weather get a bit better up here in New York. It's a 3.9L
V6 iv got so I'm thinking the 3500 will work just fine. If I had the v8 then would definitely go with the 4500. Iv spent my free time this winter rebuilding a 727 and a 904. Iv got a good insight into the world of transmissions. In my ram now it's a 32rh with a 23 spline input shaft and the 3500 also has 23 splines. The position of tower should be fine because I can see the bulge where the bell housing meets the block and know the location where the tower meets the floor. The 3500 bell housing will fit any LA engine so that's a plus. I'll keep ye posted.

·
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
680 Posts
This is going to be a pretty neat project. I hope everything falls into place and you go ahead with it. Please take lots of pics and post some here.

How is the clutch actuated? Hydraulic? Cable?

Are you pretty sure that the flywheel bolt pattern is the same as the auto trans flex plate? You would think they are the same, but that would be a bummer if for some reason the manual and auto versions used different crankshafts.

How difficult do you think mounting the pedals is going to be? If the factory had done it, it should be cake, but as has been mentioned above, I think the last factory manual was in the 80's.

Anyway, I'm just rambling here. Good Luck. Keep us posted on any progress.

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.