DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we know the LH platform uses the 42LE transmission. Isn't the best transmission but it works. What if we can drop the 42LE and toss in a manual VW / Porsche transmission? A company called Kennedy Engineered Products, Inc. makes a adapter kit to use a VW / Porsche transmission. They have it listed under for a Chrysler 300m. This can be used on all LH platform cars.

They don't know much on the install and only recommend for racing proposes. I have been thinking about this. Get a older mechanical transmission so there isn't much to deal with the electronics. I think the adapter has a slot for the crank sensor. The rear O2 sensors use the transmission harness but you can leave in the harness or build a new one from scratch and only leave in what is needed like the O2 sensors and the speed sensor. The PCM might need to be modified but a company called B&G Performance that might help on that. I am going to inquire info about it. Also the half shafts. Doubt the stock VW / Porsche half shafts would work. Would have to modify them or get custom ones built. The rest should be a breeze. Install a clutch, ether modify the brake pedal or replace it.

Anyone have any input? I plan on doing this when the 42LE dies in my car.

·
not a pushover
73 Posts
1998 to 2004 transmissions don't go out,speed sensor problems mainly.I run an auto salvage yard with my father and we don't get calls for them,threw them in the scrap pile for this reason

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not always the speed sensor. A lot of people take it to a quick lube place, get suckered into a transmission flush and end up getting the wrong ATF put in and end up burning up clutches or cracking the valve body. The main issue really is age. The current 42LE in my intrepid has 201,000 miles and is on it's way out, the ATF is burnt to hell and sometimes slips in 3rd gear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.