DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem really has me stumped. A few weeks back my truck (2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel 5.9L) was having issues where the tranny would slip from 4th gear back to 3rd gear and the engine would rev up. However the problems gave no diagnostic codes. Because I live in a rural area I had no problem driving the truck like that as it could drive up to 40mph without any problems in 3rd gear.

Shortly there after, the engine lost power power and I could only drive 5mph; just enough to make it to the mechanic shop. The mechanic used the computer and got diagnostic codes P0251, P1689 and P1688. Okay, that said the fuel injection pump was shot. No problem...

I replaced the fuel injection pump, did nothing to the tranny. After replacing the fuel injection pump the truck ran perfectly up until yesterday. Now I'm back at square one where the tranny runs through the gears perfectly up to 4th then after a few seconds in 4th slips back into 3rd gear and the engine revs up.

Can someone please give me an idea on what the problem could be? I even hearing the problem could be electrical.

I'm really frustrated here...

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
P0251 CP3 Pump Regulator Control
P1689 code (no communication between ECM and injection pump module)
p1688: internal fuel injection pump failure

You have no transmission codes, But it sounds like it could be the tv cable out of adjustment or possibly the OD solenoid. Has the fluid-filter been changed normally? How many miles on the truck? You can have the pressures tested in the trans, That would revile more info.

http://www.atraonline.com/manuals/seminars/PDF%20Manuals/2000/2000_154.pdf

·
R.I.P Big Blue
5,326 Posts
If you have pressure enough to engage OD, you should be able to hold it unless signal to the solenoid is cut. The OD light isn't coming on?

Definitely get the pressures checked, hot and cold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.