DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram (4x4) with roughly 82,000 miles on it. The truck runs good, and I purchased it around 75,000 miles on it. As far as I know there hasn't been any transmission servicing done on the vehicle.

From what I've heard if you dont change the transmission fluid before the first 50,000 miles then don't change the fluid at all. Is this true?

I have a small cut in the gasket of the transmission pan. Not a big deal...the leak is hardly noticable and doesn't leave any puddles under the truck. What's the best way to go about fixing this if I'm not suppose to change the transmission fluid?

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
The only way to do it is to change the gasket, & that mean's changing the fluid. It may or may not have serviced before your purchase,in any case I would change it if it were my truck!! And of course change the filter as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Make sure that you use the ATF+3 or ATF+4 if you let someone else change it. I have heard of Dodge transmissions slipping and failing due to non-ATF+3/4 fluid. There are a few non-Mopar blends of ATF+3/4 available which should be fine.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
At 73000 miles I had mine flushed, filter changed, and bands adjusted and so far at 98000 no problems. It was replaced with atf+4.
:gr_patrio

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
Tranny fluid

curtishall said:
So...should I have anyone change the fluid or should I take it to dodge for their 'special' ATF mix?
If it is a 46RE like my 99 model, DO NOT use snythetic fluid,stick with the standard fluid made for MOPAR'S. Many shop's will try to sell you on the synthetic, JUST SAY NO THANK'S!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I used Castrol ATF+3 in mine and i have had no problem.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
hemi dave said:
If it is a 46RE like my 99 model, DO NOT use snythetic fluid,stick with the standard fluid made for MOPAR'S. Many shop's will try to sell you on the synthetic, JUST SAY NO THANK'S!!!!
Mother Mopar's ATF+4 is a synthetic. Originally it was available only through Mopar dealers, but I saw it at wal-mart the other day for about two dollars cheaper per quart.
:gr_patrio Charlie

·
Registered
595 Posts
charlie1935 said:
At 73000 miles I had mine flushed, filter changed, and bands adjusted and so far at 98000 no problems. It was replaced with atf+4.
:gr_patrio
If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to pay for the flush, filter and band adjustment?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.