DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is my problem...i backed out of my drive ( everything ok ) then i pulled into McDonalds and i had no park ( so i put the parking brake on ) and then when i was trying to leave i noticed i didnt have reverse...the transmission didnt make any noise or indicate anything that it was going out....anyone have any ideas? oh its a 2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the 360 motor

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
Were there any codes?

Did you check the fluid level in the trans?

What does the shifter do when you move it from gear to gear?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Sounds like the linkage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have 1-5 but no reverse or park and yes i checked the trans fluid and when i put it in reverse the reverse lights come on......so i don't know

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Are you mechanically inclined, and up to climbing under the truck? I don't want to type the trouble shooting if you are not. ;)

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts
Man, it's hard to nail this down online but my first though is the linkage (like Rich 2500 said) or a bad Toque Converter.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Not even engaging the mechanical parking pawl? I have to agree with linkage being my first suspect. Might be as simple as the plastic grommets crumbling and falling out of the linkage points. Or the cable if it's cable actuated is giving up or the adjustment point at the transmission is loose or broken. It's on the driver's side of the trans if you wanted to ("set the parking brake"), turn the key to the on position to unlock the shifter and watch the bell crank on the transmission where the linkage attaches while your person of choice moves the shifter through it's positions. I think you'll find the slop in the linkage pretty quick if that's the problem. You probably should disconnect the battery too just to prevent a possible oops, he died, however slim the chance might be. I know, extreme measures but damn the consequences of a simple oops...

·
Premium Member
30,916 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well im inclined and ive been working like 12-14 hours a day and tomorrow i only work like 2-4 hours so im gonna take a look at it tomorrow i will keep you all informed...thanks ( i also went to college for 1 1/2 for auto mechanics but this has stumped me so im mech inclined )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.