DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a broken "seal" in my transmission, causing the check engine light to come on and the D transmission to "slip" while accelerating from a stop, and slowly engage and catch up to the engine revs. It was frustrating and dangerous.

I have 67,000 miles now, and after the TRANSMISSION OVERHAUL (the replaced all seals and clutches per the service manager), the problem is gone.

I think this will become a common problem with the D, since I do not abuse my vehicle, and it appears to be a defect in design/manufacture/parts (?)for the Hemi SLT AWD transmission. Just thought you should know.

·
Registered
193 Posts
how much did it end up costing to fix it?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm wondering if that would fall under the 7/70 powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Mine does that but only slightly. When I start out from a stop there is about a 1 second lag and sometimes a sharp clunk is felt. This started immedietly after having the transmission fluid changed.

There is a TSB that talks about this with regards to the 2 filters needing to be changed if the problem occurs after servicing. My dealer tells me this TSB does not apply to my 2004 Durango so no fix has been done and I still have the problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the loud and obvious "clunk" as well, and I also had the check engine light come on and the light basically stayed on until I had the overhaul done. They tried two things before the overhaul, but neither lasted long enough to get home from the dealer before the engine light and the problem came back.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
The Durango's all have the same 545RFE tranny right?
Just wondering if this will occur on my wifes.
She drive's it a bit faster than I do, but not hard on it by any means.
If this is a manufacture defect, can it be corrected before it fails?
The D came with a 3/36 bumper to bumper, and a 10/100 with $100 deductible also.
Would like to think it would be more cost effective (for myself and the dealer) to update the defective part before it causes other parts to fail.

edit: is there a TSB or a recall for this problem?

·
Registered
454 Posts
It is interesting that I drove my wifes 04 yesterday for the first time in about a month. Sure enough I seem to have this exact thing happening and I came here to see if anyone else has.

What I notice is a slight delay from time to time accelerating, but I have not noticed it from a stop yet. In my situation I can be driving along, take my foot out of the gas, get back in and hear and feel a clunk in the tranny.

Sometimes when coming to a stop there is a bit of a delay when it downshifts itself. You can come to a stop and then feel a slight clunking from inside the transmission.

Are any of you experiencing this? I am assuming it was covered under the 7/70 powertrain. Luckily I am still under the factory warranty with 28k on the clock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.