DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my transmission doesn't shift right when it is cold, it just stays in 2nd gear. When it warms up after about 3 or 4 miles on the highway it shifts fine. Does any one know what is wrong? I own a 94' with a 318.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Has the transmission ever been serviced...fluid/filter change, bands adjusted, kickdown cable adjusted? These could be contributing factors as to why the transmission is slow to shift.

Do you have overdrive? It's possible that it's not shifting from 3rd to 4th (OD) when it's cold, which is normal. It has to be pretty cold though.

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
I had thought my owners manual states something along the lines of, that the inside temperature of the transmission has to be 2 degrees farenheit before it will shift into overdrive. How cold was it when this was happening?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it doesn't want to shift into 3rd gear, once i get it to shift into 3rd gear it has no problem going into overdrive. The temperature was 15 celcius i dont know what that is in farenheit

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
It kinda sounds like a valve body issue with it running well when the fluid is hotter and thus thinner.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
0 deg. C=32 deg. F

15 deg. C=47 deg. F

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
My 96 did the same thing. Had it flushed, filter changed and bands adjusted. All OK now. Had about 71000 miles on it when work was done, 87,000 now. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have you checked your fluid level and the color?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to let everyone know I just had a tranny service and powerflush done and now everything is working fine. My local dodge dealer has a machine that they use to power flush the transmission. But it comes with a price, $300 for a service and flush but it worked, so I guess it is worth it. Thanks to all who replied

·
Read Only
646 Posts
Dodgevanman said:
0 deg. C=32 deg. F

15 deg. C=47 deg. F
:huh:

Not to be an a** but Vanman, 15 Degrees Celcius is actually 59 Degrees Farenehit, you can't just add 15 to 32..

0* C = Freezing 32* F = Freezing
100* C = Boiling 212* F = Boiling

They don't quite add up for simple addition..

:crazy:

[Redacted]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.