1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2005 Hemi Ram
1,435 Posts
Yes, ATF+4 only.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Yes, for a 2004 the fluid spec is ATF+4. However, you can use the premium aftermarket synthetics like Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, etc... as well. Most of the name brand companies offer universal fluids that are compatible as well. Just make sure they are ATF+4 compatible and you are fine.

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Is it just me, or is RP not on the list of licensed ATF+4 transmission fluids?
It is not on the list because it is not an ATF+4 only fluid. It is a universal ATF that is compatible with and meets all the performance requirements of ATF+4. It also can be used in other application requiring different ATF fluids. As a result it could not be licensed as an ATF+4 fluid. Amsoil and Redline won't show up on that list either but they offer products that will work and IMOA be superior to any ATF+4 on the list as RP is.

Being licensed only means the fluid mfg paid for testing and that the fluid meets the minimum spec's not that it is a superior fluid or that other fluids without a license won't work. RP MaxATF works just fine in ATF+4 applications. If the fluid mfg lists ATF+4 compatibility( or says it is a specific ATF+4 )that is good enough for me. IF the fluid didn't meet the spec and/or wasn't compatible with the fluid if a universal type they are asking for a law suit saying it does.

Note - while under warranty stick to an ATF+4 specific fluid vs a universal fluid. However, the fluid would not have to be officially licensed to qualify as warranty acceptable. Under the law all the fluid must do is meet or exceed the OEM mfg's fluid spec and you are good. A universal fluid can not do so as it will include things other than what is used to make up a specific single fluid even if it meets/exceeds the actual performance spec's. A fluid mfg can make an ATF+4 specific fluid and meet the spec wiithout paying for licensing which is outregeously expensive( which is why many of the fluid mfg's are refusing to do so more and more as with the new GM Dexos oil spec ).

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
It is not on the list because it is not an ATF+4 only fluid. It is a universal ATF that is compatible with and meets all the performance requirements of ATF+4. It also can be used in other application requiring different ATF fluids. As a result it could not be licensed as an ATF+4 fluid. Amsoil and Redline won't show up on that list either but they offer products that will work and IMOA be superior to any ATF+4 on the list as RP is.

Being licensed only means the fluid mfg paid for testing and that the fluid meets the minimum spec's not that it is a superior fluid or that other fluids without a license won't work. RP MaxATF works just fine in ATF+4 applications. If the fluid mfg lists ATF+4 compatibility( or says it is a specific ATF+4 )that is good enough for me. IF the fluid didn't meet the spec and/or wasn't compatible with the fluid if a universal type they are asking for a law suit saying it does.

Note - while under warranty stick to an ATF+4 specific fluid vs a universal fluid. However, the fluid would not have to be officially licensed to qualify as warranty acceptable. Under the law all the fluid must do is meet or exceed the OEM mfg's fluid spec and you are good. A universal fluid can not do so as it will include things other than what is used to make up a specific single fluid even if it meets/exceeds the actual performance spec's. A fluid mfg can make an ATF+4 specific fluid and meet the spec wiithout paying for licensing which is outregeously expensive( which is why many of the fluid mfg's are refusing to do so more and more as with the new GM Dexos oil spec ).
Cool, thanks for the lecture...lol! I was a little concerned because I run RP in my trans and diff.

This is a little off topic, but what do you think about running the 0w-20 oil in the MDS Hemi's?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Cool, thanks for the lecture...lol! I was a little concerned because I run RP in my trans and diff.

This is a little off topic, but what do you think about running the 0w-20 oil in the MDS Hemi's?
Sorry if it came across as a lecture. Was just trying to explain not preach.

Do you have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on your 07? If so be aware that RP MaxATF is not a warranty acceptable trans fluid as it is a universal fluid and not just an ATF+4. RP MaxGear is fine for the diff's under warranty but the MaxATF fluid isn't even though it works just fine. Just FYI in case that all got lost in my ramblings above.

0W-20 will work just fine in an MDS HEMI mechanically. What matters for the MDS is the oil viscosity at operating temp which is the 20 part. 0W-20 and 5W-20 are both 20 weight oils at operating temp. The difference is the 0W and 5W part. That part is the oil viscosity when cold or the "winter weight" as it is at times referred to. 0W will just flow a little easier at cold start than 5W will. Again though, 0W-20 and 5W-20 are both 20 weight oils( fall within the 20 weight spec limits anyway )when at operating temp.

You could run into issues with your warranty if you get someone who doesn't understand oil weights as Chrysler is specific about using 5W-20 only. They make no allowances for 0W. You can run it and be just fine mechanicallly is the bottom line. You "might" get a hassle from the dealer or Chrysler if an issue cropped up warranty wise. You certainly could defend the use of it in court and have a good chance to win but is it worth it?

Did you know that RP has reformulated most of their oils? They now have a HPS( high performance street )oil that is not API certified at all and they have reformulated their regular street oils and now offer current API service level certifications( SN )complete with the Starburst on 4 weights that previously were only API SL? You can actually get RP oils that meet full warranty requirements for 05+ trucks now. RP now offers 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 in API SN w/ Starburst. While API SN just came out it supercedes SM so it qualifies for your warranty requirements.

You just have to pay attention to the bottle to be sure what you are getting on any weight but the new 0W-20. Look for the Starburst on the front of the bottle so you know it is the new stuff and not the old API SL formula.

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
Sorry if it came across as a lecture. Was just trying to explain not preach.

Do you have the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on your 07? If so be aware that RP MaxATF is not a warranty acceptable trans fluid as it is a universal fluid and not just an ATF+4. RP MaxGear is fine for the diff's under warranty but the MaxATF fluid isn't even though it works just fine. Just FYI in case that all got lost in my ramblings above.

0W-20 will work just fine in an MDS HEMI mechanically. What matters for the MDS is the oil viscosity at operating temp which is the 20 part. 0W-20 and 5W-20 are both 20 weight oils at operating temp. The difference is the 0W and 5W part. That part is the oil viscosity when cold or the "winter weight" as it is at times referred to. 0W will just flow a little easier at cold start than 5W will. Again though, 0W-20 and 5W-20 are both 20 weight oils( fall within the 20 weight spec limits anyway )when at operating temp.

You could run into issues with your warranty if you get someone who doesn't understand oil weights as Chrysler is specific about using 5W-20 only. They make no allowances for 0W. You can run it and be just fine mechanicallly is the bottom line. You "might" get a hassle from the dealer or Chrysler if an issue cropped up warranty wise. You certainly could defend the use of it in court and have a good chance to win but is it worth it?

Did you know that RP has reformulated most of their oils? They now have a HPS( high performance street )oil that is not API certified at all and they have reformulated their regular street oils and now offer current API service level certifications( SN )complete with the Starburst on 4 weights that previously were only API SL? You can actually get RP oils that meet full warranty requirements for 05+ trucks now. RP now offers 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 in API SN w/ Starburst. While API SN just came out it supercedes SM so it qualifies for your warranrty requirements.

You just have to pay attention to the bottle to be sure what you are getting on any weight but the new 0W-20. Look for the Starburst on the front of the bottle so you know it is the new stuff and not the old API SL formula.
Thanks for the info! I have an MDS Hemi, but the MDS has been turned off for well over 2 years. Is it even necessary to run an Xw-20 oil now? Also, is their a major benefit to running a 0W-20 over a 5w-20? I'm using Mobil 1 for what it's worth. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Thanks for the info! I have an MDS Hemi, but the MDS has been turned off for well over 2 years. Is it even necessary to run an Xw-20 oil now? Also, is their a major benefit to running a 0W-20 over a 5w-20? I'm using Mobil 1 for what it's worth. Thanks!
If MDS is off you can run a 30 weight oil( 0W, 5W, or 10W )in the 5.7L and be fine. Other than the MDS components the 5.7L internals did not change from 03-08. 30 weight was spec'd in 03 and 04 before 5W-20 was spec'd for all models in 05 and 06. For 07-08 it was 5W-20 for 1500's( MDS )and HD's under 14,000 GVWR but back to 5W-30 for HD's over 14,000 GVWR. The bottom line is 30 weight oil is ok to use in your 07 5.7L with MDS turned off( you mean with a tuner I assume ).

You might see a slight drop in MPG going to the 30 weight but it will be very small if any. Actually my 04 Ram 1500 QC 4WD 5.7L( no MDS )running 5W-30 RP got better MPG than my 08 Ram 1500 QC 4WD 5.7L( w/ MDS )running 5W-20 RP FWIW.

The only benefit IMO to running the 0W over the 5W in 20 weight oil is during the dead of winter where it gets really cold( below zero ). It will flow easier at start up and thus protect against startup wear better. You would have to be talking well below zero though for it to really make a difference if the 5W-20 was synthetic( which maintains it's cold viscosity to a much lower temp than dino oil ).

Some oil mfg's like Mobil 1 claim the 0W oils improve MPG. I don't see it. As I said earllier it is the 2nd number( 20, 30, 40, 50 )that matters not the #W part at operating temp. There is a specific viscosity range a 20 weight, 30 weight, 40 weight, and 50 weight oil falls in to be classified as such. They all fall into that same range at operating temp and it is not a huge range. So you might get a slightly thinner 20 weight from one mfg vs that from another but it isn't a big difference.

You might see a slight MPG bump from say a 0W-30 over a 10W-30 from the standpoint of easier starting. The 10W will be thicker at cold start and it will take a little more time for the engine to turn over and start and then energy to run until it warms up vs the 0W. That kind of MPG gain is not going to be very much though if at all noticeable.

IMOA the benefits to 0W oils involve cold winter starts period. MPG gains are going to be so small as to barely be noticeable if any actually happen. Of course you will hear from those who claim I went from XXXX to 0W-XX and gained 5 MPG. okay, whatever. :nono

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.