DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 15mo, my Durango hasn't let me down once, but now it started pouring ATF fluid out a tiny hole at the junction of the transmission and transfer case. The truck had been sitting in the driveway for a few days, then all the suddent it started leaking like crazy; probably lost a quart or two before I could get a pan under it.
At first, I thought the hole had corroded through beacuse the opening looked mis-shapen, but now, once I cleaned it out, it appears to be a machined hole. Can anyone confirm whether or not this hole is supposed to be here? Could it be that a seal has broken inside?
I posted a labled picture of the hole where the fluid came out. Note that the hole in the casing is located at the lowest bolt that holds the tranny and xfer case together. You can even see the threads of the bold inside the hole.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I have no idea what to do, or where to tow the truck for repairs.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Remove the transfer case and replace the rear seal to the transmission (a $20 fix if you do it yourself)

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
This would be an A#1-Piss-Me-off day if that ever happens to me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So can anyone confirm whether or not that hole is supposed to be there or not? If its normal, is it supposed to be plugged?
Thanks!
(I can't get a straight answer from any tranny shop or dodge dealership)

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
Sorry for you bad luck.

I just tried to help by finding out if my transfer case has that same machined dimple, but the skid plate totally blocks the view. Maybe someone without a skid can take a look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for looking on your truck. On my 98 Durango, this spot is right above, and slightly behind, the factory skid plate.
I really thought the hole was not normal til I saw that it's a perfectly honed out shaft. The weird thing is that when you look at the bold threads that it exposes, they're perfectly clean. Everything else down there is pretty dirty from 160k miles; in other words, I'd think if it had been intentially exposed, the visible threads would be black and grungy. On the other hand, perhaps the tranny fliud ate all the dirt off the bolt, making it look shiny again.

·
JAFO
191 Posts
Nope, you are correct, its there on mine. Didn't even have to go down and look, I know exactly where it is. I thought the same thing as you at first when I saw it a about a year or two ago. There was a post with the same problem which caused me to crawl under mine and look. I have some fluid loss out of there, but not enought to be concerned with at this point. I'm just keeping an eye on it.

·
Gromit
278 Posts
I can vouch for that hole being there on my 98 Durango also...i get the same rapid leaking of ATF fluid out like you too!! Its been steadily getting worse, ive just been refilling pretty often. So its the $20 rear transmission seal you say? I guess its about time to pull the transfercase and get at that before it causes a tranny rebuild which i definitely do not want!

Klockw243 if youre somewhere close to St. Louis, MO maybe we can help each other out on these repairs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had the same leak after I parked mine for a week.The diagnosis was bad seal between tranfer case and tranny. Cheap seal Big Labor Bill.I wish I would have had the smarts to do it myself. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Had the same problem. You might as well replace the front transfer case seal at the same time since you'll have the t-case off. If you decide to do it yourself, search t-case on here-- there are a couple threads explaining how to get that upper passenger side nut off of the t-case. It will save you hours if you read the threads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.