DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm picking up a 2007 Grand Caravan SXT next week. Everyone tells me, when they hear I'm buying a Dodge, to put money aside for a transmission. I figured if they are known for being weak, I'll pick up a trans oil cooler to try to make it last as long as possible. However, I'm not a mechanic so I'm looking at the plethora of kits and I'm unsure how to choose a quality one.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello. I'm picking up a 2007 Grand Caravan SXT next week. Everyone tells me, when they hear I'm buying a Dodge, to put money aside for a transmission. I figured if they are known for being weak, I'll pick up a trans oil cooler to try to make it last as long as possible. However, I'm not a mechanic so I'm looking at the plethora of kits and I'm unsure how to choose a quality one.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!
Are you aware that it already has a transmission cooler?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I had just assumed it did not. I guess now the question is whether the stock one is decent or if it's worth upgrading it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I haven't worked on one of these in forever. I believe this is one of those coolers that gets integrated with the AC condenser. It may not be worth the trouble to find a place to install another cooler in line and, invariably, in front of the OE cooler. If you don't even own it yet and you're already worried about the transmission, maybe it's a good time to not own it at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's nothing wrong with being proactive rather than reactive, and Dodge has a terrible reputation when it comes to transmission issues.

·
Registered
593 Posts
There's nothing wrong with being proactive rather than reactive, and Dodge has a terrible reputation when it comes to transmission issues.
I've swapped quite a few of them over my career. I miss working on the Caravans because there was a lot of chronic problems with them even beyond the transmissions. They made for the best job security I've ever had.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol yep, that's why I was asking. Figured it could use all the help it could get ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts