DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my transmission is always fine around town (1-3) but in overdrive on the highway it will shift up randomly then back to OD real quick when Im cruising around 2000 rpm with a real steady foot on the pedal. Also, it will rev up when i go over expansion joints/bridges/bumps at highway speed as well....all this only in OD...do I have a real problem or an unfortunate normality of the 5.2/3.55gears deal? Thanks for any insight
I'm taking a long trip to Illinois and back next week so its starting to freak me out

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
GET IT IN NOW!! I had the same problem and left it too long. Eventually my rig wound up stranding me as I had calved the tranny. You are having the exact same symptoms I did and it was an early sign of trans failure. Better hurry down to a good shop for some repairs!!

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uhoh...what kind of repairs, as in rebuilt transmission?? craaap

·
Registered
518 Posts
This is my second Dodge, One was the 318 and now the 360, never a problem with the trans. I even put a shift kit into the 98. works great. All I can say is maybe you should check your fluid more often, I don't know.

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya fluid has been fine...Im meticulous about keeping my fluids and all that good...I really hope this isn't a definite "your tranny is F'ed"

·
pressurevac
179 Posts
Well my tranny was fu#@ed, and it cost me a new tranny. Like I say, it wont hurt to get it checked now rather than get it towed later. But honestly, that is EXACTLY the same thing mine was doing and I wound up frying the ba$tard!!

·
AJ Gtz
302 Posts
well....i've had the same problem with mine also...and it's 4x4 2500...only becuase of off-roading....i'd cruise at highway speeds and then i'd hear a noise coming from underneath...was anoyed by it so i took it in...it was the t/c....*transfer case*...something was effed up....but other than that...no more off-roading for me...costs too dang much to re-build trannys....$1,200 and up...

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, ya I have no weird noises or clanking, just revs when i go over bumps and shifts in/out of OD if Im at highway speeds....argh

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
If it happens when you go over bumps, I would check or have someone check the connector and wiring to your OD solenoid on the transmission. It could also be a problem with the OD solenoid itself inside the transmission. Don't condemn the whole thing just yet until you rule out the simple stuff.

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info, I called a shop and they scared me because he just said "if its reving then the clutches are slipping and you need a new transmission" I was like wow wait a minute, there's gotta be some other things to check over....I'm just not up on transmissions as well as other parts I've worked on before. I guess I'm gonna look for a good shop I can go to and get some answers. Anyone know a price thats fair to look at my tranny before any real work is done? I don't even know what the prices are for tranny work/diagnosis....thanks again

·
Registered
240 Posts
Do you have a Cottman's? I beleive they have specific techs for specific trannies. Please let me know what you find out.

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never heard of cottmans no. I just called the shop I had my custom exhaust done at and he gave me a few good tranny shops in the area (hopefully) so I'll see what happens once I can find the time to get my truck there

·
Banned
26 Posts
My 99 was doing the same thing and I read in another forum to take the throttle postion sensor off and clean the hell out of it with starter fluid and work the mechianism while your doing it. I did it and I took and 200 mi trip this past weekend and it only did it once. Do a search for it (TPS) I did that and adjusted my TV cable just a bit for more line pressure and a slight change in shifting. reset the computer and she drives like a different truck. clean or replace the TPS first and see if that fixes it.

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the info....anyway I just spent 2 hours at a transmission shop and found nothing. He came on a ride with me and used the diagnostic computer thing and it pulled no engine or trans codes. AND going down the highway my truck didn't do it ONCE...figures. The fluid looks/smells great and is exactly full. Also the shift points could be slightly firmer he said but they defintely were fine. We ended up checking his stuff online and he found somethign that seems like it could be it but it still threw no codes which is weird. It involves a ground to the PCM that the oxygen sensor, battery temp sensor and some other things use. The ground could be bad or that battery temp sensor...any of those things. So as it stands it could still be a million things, I just hope the tranny isn't goin.

·
Computing Fool/Gadget Guy
120 Posts
Removed by OMT.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would definetly get a 2nd opinion... i had this same problem with my 01' 1500 4x4 318... at first the guys at the dealership said that this was because the 318 wasn't "enough motor for a truck this size" when driving in a hilly area at highway speed, which i would have to believe only because it is a bit of a dog on the highway... i found that turning the overdrive off would help if i was in the hills... now the problem is my tranny is actually missing shifts if i'm hard on the throttle from 2nd to 3rd. now i would have to beieve that it is more of a burnt band and clutch issue...

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya I dunno what to do. Here's an update: I ended up making the trip to Illinois and back (2k miles) and it still does the same thing. I have figured out more though, it only will rev up if there is little load on the engine while Im hardly on the gas. If I get toa bump and press on the gas harder it won't do the rev up thing. Also this sucks, I went through a construction zone with traffic on the way out there so I turned overdrive off and my truck ended up reving up while lightly on the throttle (just like above, little/no load on it) in 3rd gear as well. Somethings definitely not right but I don't know how involved this problem is...I'm just hoping its not the end nearing for this damn tranny cuz it feels fine for the most part

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hmmmm, I had the same problem on the highway with fluctuating rpm's for about 6 months. I thought the problem was my gearing (4.10's with 35" tires). Drove fine around town.

Eventually the check engine light came on so I brought it into the dealer. The tranny had lost pressure and needed to be rebuilt. Cost $2000 including a complete seal kit, torque converter and overdrive solenoid.

They said the culprit was the overdrive solenoid going bad. This was at about 55k miles.

Been fine ever since. Go figure.

·
LivetoRide
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
damn, If I have to spend that kind of money I'm gonna go with a heavy duty transmission that definitely isnt a stock 46re...starting to sweat aha

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.