Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long break, hello all.

After some research and digging into a horrid clinking/grinding noise that I thought was coming from a front-left half-shaft or wheel bearings, it appears that it's coming from my transfer case. It can't be heard in 2WD, and is almost unbearable in 4WD.

This is foreign territory for me, and before I take it to a shop or dealer, I was hoping that I could get some opinions.

1. Is it possible, and how much should I expect to spend, to replace all of the gears in my transfer case if they're shot?

2. Is there a better (i.e. replacement) transfer case for my '99 5.9L 4WD, and how might I go about finding it? (I have no idea what the current one is, or how to find it)

3. Any other suggestions?

I appreciate the help in advance.

P.S. - I would also like to thank Jester for letting me check out his truck. For those of you that can't imagine a Durango on 37's... well, I can't help, because it's undescribable! Truly impressive work you've done there jester :gr_patrio My hat's off to you. Anyways, enough off-topic... :help: plz

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For some reason I am unable to edit previous post. Pre-apology for double post.

After some looking through dodgetalk, it appears that I have a 231HD transfer case. I've been googling all morning for a rebuild kit of some sort, with no luck. Does anybody know of any manufacturers?

·
unRegistered Dog
2,134 Posts
Have you checked the fluid in it? The linkage could have gotten out of adjustment so it might not be engaged all the way. The 231HD is a fine t-case for most likely what you are doing so I would stick with it if you have to replace it or rebuild it. You can drain the fluid and see if there are any metal chunks in it.

·
unRegistered Dog
2,134 Posts

·
99 Durango SLT 5.9L
312 Posts
I can pick up a used t-case for around $250.. I was thinking about buying one to make a rotation plate for mine so my driveline would not be a such an angle.. Does 4-low do the same as high range? The best option would be an atlas replacement for $2000+ but who has that kind of money to burn? I have had my t-case apart before when I did the tranny, They are not that scarry...

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I would think you could get a good transfer case at a junk yard and just bolt it up. They're not as complicated as a tranny so a junk yard one would probably be a good bet and a lot cheaper than other solutions.

Watch out for that passenger-side upper mounting bolt though.-- there's another thread on here from a few weeks ago that describes how to get it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.