DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the site.I was wondering if anyone else had this problem ,I have an 02 ram sport with a 4.7 (auto)when i put the trans in drive it makes slight grinding ticking noise for a few seconds then it catches.I don't think this normal.If any of you have any ideas let me know.Thanks

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
check the fluid level...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man Dodge has some weird things I have never heard any other vehicle be it a car or truck make a clicking noise when you shift it into drive or reverse.So i should'nt be worried.

·
Registered
187 Posts
so that happens because i have a popping sound coming from underneath when i sfit into reverse from drive or any other gear weather i park on an incline or not???

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
Chrysler/dodges have been known to have that noise. Although I have never heard it on a truck. It was always fwd cars, when you come to a stop or when you engage a gear it is the solenoid making noise. It is not normal though if your tranny is not engaging when you put it in drive. If that is the case, you could have low fluid or a plugged tranny filter causing low line pressure. Get this checked out, you don't want any damage to vital parts.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
The solenoid pack makes that groaning, ticking sound. And sometimes if you have the sound from underneath reflected back at your window (like driving alongside concrete barriers), you can hear a loud click come every time it shifts.

I wouldn't worry about it (unless, like they said, you're getting a pause before it goes into gear, 'cause that ain't good).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no pause when going into gear.Only have 22,000 miles on it but going to change the tranny fluid anyway to be on the safe side.How much fluid should i buy?Is this a fairly simple job (never changed fluid on an automatic before)?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.