DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've searched the threads for definitive answers but can't seem to find one. My 97 Ram 4x4 with 5.2L magnum will not shift from 2nd to 3rd gear all of the sudden. It runs normal otherwise.I have tried to wiggle the shifter just to be sure it was properly engaged in drive. It does not matter if I am under normal throttle or if I do a hard acceleration to about 45mph and let off. It still does not shift up. I even tried turning off O.D. Any help appreciated. The closest thing I find is a reference to the TCC solenoid? but no info I find says it is definately this. The tranny has had a filter and fluid change about 4 months ago and has been working well until now.
Thanx for the help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, now I have a new development. I just took the P.O.S. around the block to see if it would be different when cold. It just got worse! It started sounding pretty bad (grindy noise) and slipping too. Then I started from a dead stop and it just revved up and would not move. I put it in 1st gear while rolling a little and it actually stopped instead of rolling further. Now just kinda revs and acts like it wants to move but doesn't, no matter what gear. It does have reverse, as I had to use it to get the truck back to my house. I checked the fluid, of course it is clean and at the right level. (couldn't be so lucky)
What now? Am I screwed?

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
sounds like your tranny welded itself together. you might do more damage keepin on driving if infact its not welded together yet. is the fluid burnt at all or any signs of heat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have to worry about driving it any further, it does not move (except for reverse). The fluid is still nice and new looking and smelling. I'm fixing to pull the pan and look for the dreaded "metal shavings of death". Otherwise, I don't know what else to look for when I pull the pan (bare wires, loose bolt, etc.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, looks like I'll be replacing the trans. There was plenty of flat steel shavings in the pan. Not an abundance, but plenty for the short distance I drove before shutting it down (about 1/2 mile). I guess I'll be talking to Jasper again. I just put a Jasper engine in this thing back in april.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.