DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(NOT) Ok everyone I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 2wd. The trans went out so I got a used one from a salvage yard. I installed the used trans and it worked great for about 3 days. Then it started shifting odd. After that it stopped moving completely. it has no forward or reverse gears. some times at first start up it will move a few feet in forward or reverse then stop moving again. when I put it in gear its makes a loud whining noise. its most noticeable in reverse. I spent hours searching on this issue and all i find is a bunch a retards telling each other to check the fluid. I did read about a valve that controls fluid flow that would whine when in reverse on older models. I saved my old trans and pulled the valve body from it and installed it in the new trans and i have the same issue still. I do not have a way to check the pump pressure. my question is do I have a bad converter or a bad pump? Some times when in drive if I floor it it will slowly start to move but other times I can floor it and its like its in neutral.

p.s. that bands look good and i almost think this trans had been rebuilt once before.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
By chance did the speedo work? If not your speed sensor is probably the culprit.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Duh,,,is that damned check ball still in the cooler line? They've been known to stick and starve the tranny of fluid. A grease gun hose with a simple guage would allow a reading at the various test plugs. Sonnax has the "Sure cure kit" for these babies that fixes like 21 common Dodge 46re problems. One of those is eliminating the dreaded plastic check ball inside that little rubber hose on the bottom line of your radiator. Don't listen to those other retards,,,they're all looney!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The check valve in the line was removed before I got the truck last year. I put the truck in N with the line off and after idleing for a few minutes it would pump fluid for a few seconds then stop. If that tells you anything.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Could be the tabs for the converter broke or the pump is shot.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Dodge grave yard in Houlton Maine will sell used 46RE's for $400. You have to find him on facebook. He's parted out over 400 Dodge's and going strong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dodge grave yard in Houlton Maine will sell used 46RE's for $400. You have to find him on facebook. He's parted out over 400 Dodge's and going strong.
Thanks for the sales plug in but I just bought a trans for 400 locally. Its the one im triying to fix. I stated that in the original post.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Anything possibly misspoke you care to ""EDIT"" ""OUT"" of original post.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Please excuse my retardation,,,I seem to be having a flare up! Sounds like your tranns is screwed unforunately and was trying to offer a solution. Seems the pump is burnt and lost pressure. Most of us have had problems with our trucks also which lead us all here for help or advice. A pressure test at the plug on the passenger side front would confirm no pump action. Dropping the pan would allow inspection of the valve body for stuck valves or other problems. I surrender!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem just don't let it happen again. :) "I do not have a way to check the pump pressure." "I saved my old trans and pulled the valve body from it and installed it in the new trans and I have the same issue still." I will pull that trans this weekend and replace the pump and the convertor and see what happens ill post the results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.