DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been posting about transmission problems on my new to me 2002 ram 1500 5.9 qc. I had gotten the basic warranty from guardian for 3 months and 4500 miles.(I have only put 1000 miles on it in 2 1/2 months).It came included with my truck..... I took my truck to the dealer today.They said what I already knew, Overdrive is toast for sure and don't know what else till they get inside.Anyway,I show them my warranty and he says,Thats the better one to have.But,I don't think we can take it.And that I might have to go to an aftermarket trans place.Well,he called guardian and he said "they were just as nice as could be" and said find out what it needs and we'll pay with a credit card.I have to pay the 100.00 deductable and I don't know yet what is not included...But,it sounds like they turned out to be a stand up company.I will know something next week.

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,990 Posts
Good news bro!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea,I was sweating taking it to some of the shops around here. I just hope they cover it all but the deductable.....If it turns out good, I'll get a year or two warranty with them.Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know if this will help you or not, and I don't mean to scare you but I was experiencing the same kind of problem but with reverse only.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230610

The tranny guy that I had talked to said that there was a TSB released by Dodge as a recommendation to put in a plate to allow more fluid to flow back towards the rear of the transmission... don't know if that would help you or not but just wanted to offer what I could so that you can ask about it when it's in getting work done.

D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thats good info...I'm gonna wait and see what all they are replacing and if they are not putting a new converter in,I.m going to get one. I wonder how we could find the TSB number for that plate? How much was your converter? Another question...Is there a rear seal on the motor that should be replaced while the tranny is out and what other short commings with our transmission's that I could take care of while it's out? I plan on keeping this truck for good... Thanks again

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thats good info...I'm gonna wait and see what all they are replacing and if they are not putting a new converter in,I.m going to get one. I wonder how we could find the TSB number for that plate? How much was your converter? Another question...Is there a rear seal on the motor that should be replaced while the tranny is out and what other short commings with our transmission's that I could take care of while it's out? I plan on keeping this truck for good... Thanks again
My T/C wasn't a stall or anything, just another stock one.. I paid $250 CDN for it. I'm sure if you call your local dealership and ask him about it, he should be able to pull it up. There is a TSB Article page on this forum but last I checked it wasn't up... that was 6 months ago though so it might be up now...

While your tranny is out, I would get them to check the front and rear seals and have them replaced while they have it out. For the rear main, if it's not leaking, I wouldn't fix it... it's not worth the trouble or the cost if it isn't. One other thing that you may want to look at, if they are doing any kind of a rebuild to it, ask them how much to throw in a shift kit. I don't know if you have any other mod's or plan on any but a shift kit would work nicely in there IMO.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to write that down and take it with me when I go in
next week.Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More news

Well,I went by the dealership today...They have not even moved my truck and it's been 11 days.I went in to ask them about it....They are two mechanics short.They left for North Carolina and they can't find anyone to replace them.They said it could be a while on my truck.I hope this is not going to turn into a soap opera to get my truck fixed.What should I do ?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well,I went by the dealership today...They have not even moved my truck and it's been 11 days.I went in to ask them about it....They are two mechanics short.They left for North Carolina and they can't find anyone to replace them.They said it could be a while on my truck.I hope this is not going to turn into a soap opera to get my truck fixed.What should I do ?
I would tell them that it's none of your concern where they went and that you need your truck back! Then ask them if they'll pay for it to be towed elsewhere to get it fixed... see what happens... my 2 cents...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear ya, I just don't want to mess with the warranty company too much,ya know? Alot of bad stories on the internet about these aftermarket company's.They seem to want to work with the dealership and I would hate to take it somewhere else and mess up getting them to fix it...I don't know man...Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey hosack where did you take it?Im from beckley and ride fourwheelers with a few guys from princeton.If they dont get it fixed my brother inlaw is the head mechanic at greenbrier motors dodge and they do alot of work with the warrent place u have

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jsink3248

Hey,It's at Ramey Dodge on 460 in Princeton.The service advisor is a really nice guy..I have bought 4-5 vehicles at this dealership over the years and know a couple of the techs to see them.I will talk to you if they don't get it in another week I guess.Thank you,and if you talk to your brother in law ask him what he thinks?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Find out how much clutch material is in the pan, if alot have them replace the cooler. I had my trany replaced and they "flushed" the system but my cooler was still restricted, I replaced it myself and temps came back to normal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update again...Two weeks and the truck has not been moved ...So,I called the dealership and asked whats going on for real..They have No one that can work on transmissions till next mondy...which makes three weeks.My warranty is up wednesday night at 12:00 am..I asked them if it would be covered if they only road diagnosed it not tore it apart yet? They said,"I don't know".I asked them if it would be covered since they put the claim in two weeks ago.They said lets call guardian and see.Guardian said the dealership had not even started a claim 2 weeks ago...They were waiting for the dealership to call back.If I had not went to the dealership today or tomarrow I would have lost my warranty.I'll tell ya I'm a little pissed at the dealership for doing this.But,Thank God I got in there today.I just talked to the guardian claims adjuster and he said theres a open claim on my truck now.They tried to get me to take the truck to a no name place that I have heard bad things about.I said,No thanks I'll stick with the dealer.By the way,the guy at the dealership is a good dude..He just messed up I suppose........Lets see what happens next week.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks compressor man.I will have them check that.I know they blow compressed air through the lines.I thought that was enough.Thanks for telling me.Does our lines have a screen or something in them?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I don't know about the lines. I cut the alluminum lines and replaced the cooler with one from autozone, it came with rubber lines and clamps that sliped over the factory lines. I didn't want to take it back to the dealer for the trans temp because I was monitering it with my Edge, so I couldn't explain to them how I was reading the temp. The service tech told me it should be running in the 190-200 range, so I figured they were useless. Have them replace it if you can, there is no way of telling how much crap is trapped in the little bends in that cooler.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Update again...Two weeks and the truck has not been moved ...So,I called the dealership and asked whats going on for real..They have No one that can work on transmissions till next mondy...which makes three weeks.My warranty is up wednesday night at 12:00 am..I asked them if it would be covered if they only road diagnosed it not tore it apart yet? They said,"I don't know".I asked them if it would be covered since they put the claim in two weeks ago.They said lets call guardian and see.Guardian said the dealership had not even started a claim 2 weeks ago...They were waiting for the dealership to call back.If I had not went to the dealership today or tomarrow I would have lost my warranty.I'll tell ya I'm a little pissed at the dealership for doing this.But,Thank God I got in there today.I just talked to the guardian claims adjuster and he said theres a open claim on my truck now.They tried to get me to take the truck to a no name place that I have heard bad things about.I said,No thanks I'll stick with the dealer.By the way,the guy at the dealership is a good dude..He just messed up I suppose........Lets see what happens next week.
Sounds like you got lucky... you should go out and buy a lotto ticket! :) Good luck with what you got going on at the dealership. Way to handle it. At least now you know you've got the warranty open still and they know about it. All the best man.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Qub3d

Thanks for all the trans info you posted.I hope I get my truck back pretty soon.:)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The dealership service writer called this morning.The torque converter is toast.They are replacing it and a master rebuild kit.What is in the rebuild kit? I don't know and she did'nt either.They said Guardian would only pay $900.00 on the claim.I have to pay $600.00.She apologized and I told her to go ahead and fix it.I am sad they only paid that much..BUT,thank God,They even paid that....Plus I get a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on my trans from the dealer.:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.