DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and 545rfe trans. I am looking to monitor trans temps in a all digital fashion from something like a tablet connected to an ODBII Bluetooth sensor. Is this possible? I tried it via the free version of the torque app and I could not find the trans temp listed as a data item. Is this available as data in an 07 1500 from any app or device? I don't mind paying a few $ for an app to show it if the data is available.

If the data is not available what is my next choice? Is there any type of sensor gateway to an android tablet? Any help is appreciated. I am considering the edge also but I only care about tranny temp and I really want to run a 7" tablet for multi function use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody knows if trans temp is available in an 07 1500 hemi via a odbii bluetooth dongle and an android app???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess nobody does any towing around here. Anyway for the record I was able to monitor my trans temp via the OBD port with Torque Pro and a cheap elm Bluetooth adapter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant promise you anything but if you have a hemi and a 545rfe trans like me I would say yes. Anyway even if you can't, the torque pro app and the Bluetooth adapter is more than worth the $25 total investment. Can't get much more bang for your buck anywhere. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cant promise you anything but if you have a hemi and a 545rfe trans like me I would say yes. Anyway even if you can't, the torque pro app and the Bluetooth adapter is more than worth the $25 total investment. Can't get much more bang for your buck anywhere. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for the reply.
What temps are you coming up with?
About 4 years ago I bought a SRT A-pillar, an autometer trans temp gauge, autometer trans temp manifold (about 300 bucks in parts) and did the install myself on the hot line coming out of the trans that goes to the extra radiator that comes on the tow packages.
I live in Las vegas and it gets above 115 in the summer so I thought it was well worth it to keep an eye on temps. I do tow occasionally but was more concerned about stop and go traffic when I encounter it. Have seen temps right around 200 driving aggressively in stop and go on high heat days and the trans keeps a steady 50 degrees over ambient on the highway with slightly higher temps with a trailer. I have to keep in mind that the gauge is reading the hottest point possible so there is some room for adjustment for actual temps.
I have also had a SC Cortex with trans tune since before that install. I keep torque management at 8% and the trans tune is not very radical but made a HUGE difference in shift points and made the truck much more responsive and a joy to drive. I also tried the Sonnax resistor line pressure booster on the trans but it started acting up in combination with the SC tuner so I took it off.
Thanks,

04 1500 4WD Hemi QCSB
OEM off-road 17's, BFG-LT's, Airraid CAI, Cortex 3950, Magnaflow Y-pipe, Detroit TT, Mag Hytec trans and rear, SRT A-pillar w/trans temp, 190 t-stat, Pwr stop drilled/slotted all 4, Pwr wire, grnd TB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently ran about 1500 miles towing about 7.5k from NJ to the keys pretty much non stop over 26 hours. My trans temps started out around 130 in 30 degree F ambient and never got higher than 145 in 80 degree F winter Florida sun as long as I kept tow haul mode engaged. One time in SC after a gas stop I forgot to engage the toe/haul mode for about 20 minutes when I fired up the torque app on my phone my temps were in the 170 range and climbing. I quickly realized my mistake, engaged tow/haul and the temps started coming back down. I am not sure what Tow/Haul mode does but if you are seeing those high temps and driving aggressively I would tell you to make sure you engage tow haul mode. I will also tell you before I left for this trip I dropped my pan, changed both filters, then swapped out the stock 1500 trans cooler for the much larger 2500 trans cooler found in the 03 to 06 2500 hemi rams. I replaces approximately 10 quarts of fluid also in the process.

If I were you I would drop my pan, change all my fluid and filters, put in the HD trans cooler, then watch your temps with internal trans temp sender built into the trans and torque pro. If you are still reading high temps, try tow haul mode and see if it make a difference. Whatever you do make sure you report back and let us know the outcome.

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,345 Posts
I don't have an android phone, so I can't speak to those apps. The AeroForce Interceptor gauge will do it. I've used it several times to monitor tranny temps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I use the AeroForce Interceptor gauge and it seems to work well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now I wish I had known about that Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge. I could have been reading trans and other temps on the same gauge without having had to cut into my cooler lines for the manifold and all of that hassle. When I was doing the research a few years ago to do the install I just never came across that sweet little device!
No point in crying about it now. The Autometer gauge I put in the SRT A-pillar looks pretty much factory. I can always change it out for the digital one later on.
Pulled a friends 5800lb toy hauler up to Utah a couple of weeks ago and never got over 140F on the passes. Most of that is from the engine heat I am sure because it was cold out. I do like the idea of the larger cooler though and will be looking at getting one even though my towing is not frequent. Mainly due to the excessive ambient heat of where I live. And yes I do keep mine in tow/haul. I even use it around town because even though I have a trans tune it actually drops a gear when coasting; effectively cooling the unit and minimizing brake usage.

Thanks,

04 Ram 1500 4WD SLT HEMI QCSB OEM off-road 17's. BFG LT's, Airraid CAI, Cortex 3950, Magnaflow y-pipe, Detroit TT, Mag Hytec trans and rear, SRT A-pillar w/Autometer trans temp, 190 t-stat, Pwr stop drilled/slotted all 4, Pwr. wire, grnd. TB

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,345 Posts
jfotsch702, I mulled that over. Using a tranny temp gauge, but I wanted to install a 3 position switch next to it so I could flip from tranny to engine oil to power steering temp. It'd mean running more wires, but it would provide 3 gauges in one.,.,.sort of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts