DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a sending unit in the test port #3 of my 545RFE in my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. With the Autometer gauge it reads just fine (170) on the highway but as soon as I get off and enter city driving it begins to spike to upwards of 240! I find it hard to believe that my transmission with 45K unabused miles on it is running so hot. Any ideas? When does the test port #3 fill with fluid? Also it is an AutoMeter 7349 gauge with LED lighting, any ideas of what resistance to use to dim the lighting on it? thanks

·
Silvered Out
854 Posts
hmm im not sure but i do know thats way high for both. im at 150-170 city driving and then highway its like 100-120

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, It was actually your post that I followed on this install. I think its a bad ground. I just spoke with AutoMeter and they recommend two seperate grounds ( one for lights and one for gauge.) In your thread I noticed that you said you ran a power to your battery, thats what I did, but I am wondering if it would be better to have a switchable power, such as ignition? So that the gauge is not on all of the time.

·
Silvered Out
854 Posts
i havent had any problems with it ran to the battery. also i did ground it twice, the ground for the gauge needs to be near the sender, so i put the ground on one was the tranny bolts or also the frame would be fine....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, any pics or more specifics of where that ground is?

·
Silvered Out
854 Posts

pretty sure i used that bolt, the tab looking part. but anywhere near it should be fine

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks alot! im gonna give it a try later tonight, Ill let you know

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yeah one last thing, do you have a switchable power sourch?

·
Fueled by 1.21 jiggawatts
2,722 Posts
oh yeah one last thing, do you have a switchable power sourch?
Can't speak for Bullet but I wired mine into the cig lighter that powers on and off with the key, not the battery. Ignition off = gauge off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey thanks, where are your grounds?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.