DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -- 95 5.9 ext cab Lariat stock trans cooler -- Took it offroading and on a particularly steep hill, with loose dirt and rocks and the wheels spinning to grab traction, the trans temp light came on. I stopped and waited for it to go off. Few minutes later, did the same thing on another hill. Again waited until went off, then abandoned trip (it was all uphill). Realized I did not take it out of OD.

When the temp light comes on, how hot is it? I suspect there is still time to cool it down or what is the point of having the light? I'll get the fluid changed next week to be on the safe side, and change the check valve in the cooler.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Derelict
392 Posts
Steep hill = high load and lots of torque converter slipping and no airflow over the radiator. I have a tranny temp guage (for towing) which helps monitor the tranny. For slow steep hills I use 4LOW to reduce the load.

The TC only locks in 4th or 3rd with O/D off. It slips and slides in 1st and 2nd.

·
Registered
994 Posts
replace your fan wih an e-fan. i say this because the stock fan is limited by the speed of the engine. slow going 4wd = low rpm = low fan speed = overheating! and e-fan corrects this by running at the appropriate speed to cool things down regardless of engine rpms.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
get an external tranny cooler with a elec fan for the tranny cooler itself. Mine doesn't have a light, but would get up to 200 - 210 when wheeling due to the low engine fan speed.
With the fan it never gets over 170-180.
Total cost for Hayden 10" elec fan & hayden HD cooler was about $110.

·
Registered
144 Posts
canuckjgc said:
Good advice. When the trans temp light comes on, do you know how hot the tranny is? A little worried I burned something up, but the tranny seems to be shifting fine....

Owner's manual says the light comes on at 270 degrees.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Owner's manual says the light comes on at 270 degrees.
holy shit that's hot. I didn't think the tranny would get that warm and still operate.
I would definitely stick a cooler on there ASAP if the light is coming on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.