DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Power Smurf
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed my trans temp gauge today and did some of the wiring. i havent yet installed the sending unit but i may do that tomorrow. i have a srt pillar and i tapped the gauge into that wiring harness that runs up the side of the truck underneath the drivers side pillar. it says to tap into the ground, 12v constant, and the 12v switched. i did all three and ran the white wire down to where im going to tap the sending unit into the trans oil pan. my question is why wont the gauge turn off when i turn the truck off? it said somewhere in the instructions that the sending unit also acts as a type of secondary ground so would that be why? any info on this would be awesome.

·
Power Smurf
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried to find a wiring diagram online for that harness but its hard when u dont know what its called. i think its the harness that goes to the mpg/temp/compass

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
What brand gauge is this? Does the probe wire directly to the gauge or through a signal box?

·
Power Smurf
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a cheapo from summit. cyberdyne i think. the probe wires directly to the gauge

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
How many wires does the probe have going to the gauge?

·
Redtruck-VA
2,758 Posts
Put a test light on the wire you tapped into for switched power. It should come on with the ignition and go off when turned off. My guess you have it wired wrong. Good luck..

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Sounds like your on a hot line

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Odd, not seeing the instructions of course, but I'd think it would hook to
1 hot switched, igniton power
2 a variable hot ( gauge lighting off the factory dimmer)
3 ground.
4 and a signal wire to the sensor

·
Power Smurf
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put a test light on the wire you tapped into for switched power. It should come on with the ignition and go off when turned off. My guess you have it wired wrong. Good luck..
i used my neighbors test light and according to the test light, its all wired right. im going to mess with it today and see what i can do

·
Power Smurf
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok i got everything fixed. how long does the transmission have to run in neutral to get pressure built up to be able to drive?

·
Power Smurf
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
then how come you are able to drive right off when you get your transmission oil changed at a lube shop?

...i guess i should tell you what i did today. i pulled off my pan and tapped it for the sensor for the trans temp gauge. all i did was pull it, change filter and gasket, drill hole, thread in sensor, loctite, then put pan back on and put oil back in. but now it wont go when its in drive

·
Power Smurf
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah according to orileys its the right one and it is identical to the one I pulled off

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.