DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 dakota 2 wheel drive automatic with a 3.9 V6. Right now it is my commuter and daily driver for a while. I am going to start gathering full size solid axles and all parts I need to do a 4x4 solid axle swap. I am a professional welder and fabricator and I am aware of the extent of this job. I am curious though of what I can do for the transmission? What transmissions with t-case can I swap? Year range? Any advice would be of great help. Thank you all.

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
Pretty sure any engine/transmission combo for the Dakota's with the early style magnum engines as well as the 1500 and 2500 have the same style transmissions.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I can take a transmission out of a 1st gen dakota or a 94+ ram? Are the bellhousings the same for the v6 and the v8?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I am pretty sure they are the same. I know my 95 dakota was very simmilar engine and tranny to my 2000 dakota Quad Cab. Both v6 trucks. The only obvious difference between them was a 2 (or 3?) piece driveshaft.

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
Bellhousings will be the same across the Magnum engines 3.9, 5.2, and 5.9L

But I think the first generation Dakota's came with the 44RE instead of the 46RE that the second generation Dakota's and Ram's came with that were equipped with a V8.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I know my 94 ram had a 46rh instead of the 46re. So if I pulled it out of a ram it would have to be the RE trans?

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
If you used the one out of the Ram I'm pretty sure you'd have to have the PCM reconfigured, because you are going from an electronically controlled trans (RE) to a hydraulically controlled trans (RH).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the 97 and up rams went to the electronic RE trans. So would that be a direct swap as long as I didn't put a RH trans in my dakota?

·
Harrison
2,103 Posts
Yep, exactly the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.