DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I only drive my truck once a week on Thursdays (thats the day I drive the least miles because of gas $). Every time I leave my house and I am under 1/4 throttle, the trans will not shift out of 1st gear until the rpm is over 3,000. Second gear seems to take a long time too. It seems like after the truck warms up it shifts better/sooner.
I have heard that if the truck sits too long that all of the fluid will drain out of the converter and will take longer to shift. Anyone know if that is true?

Fluid is in good condition and full. Truck has a little over 99,000 miles on it. Don't know if the trans was re-built before I bought it.
Trans is a 47RE
Any one have any idea what would cause this?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
In the mopar trannys the fliud will drain and the pump does not work in park. Try starting it in neutral because the pump works in that position. probably won't cure it but may help. :gr_patrio

·
Built Not Bought
1,870 Posts
Id adjust your forward band. Mine did the same thing before it toasred the band

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your suggestions. I finally got finished installing my headers so I took it for a short ride today. I started it up and let it idle in neutral for about 5 minutes. It still wouldn't shift out of 1st until over 3K. Also when I went WOT it would not shift out of 1st. It usually shifts at 4,500 rpm no matter what gear under WOT, but this time it went way over 5K before I let off the gas to make it shift. Redline starts at 4,500 rpm.

I haven't adjusted the bands yet. When adjusting the front band do you have to be exact on the torque spec. It says to torque it to 72" pounds. Is it OK to guess or should I get an inch torque wrench?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have an 01 and did the same thing a solinoid and sensor went bad in the tranny but mine is an 01 dealer ate the repair

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Could be a problem with the TPS or your kickdown (TV) cable need adjustment.

Yes you need to be exact on that 72 inch lbs. Follow the directions to a tee.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to see if my boss will let me borrow the inch lbs wrench then. If that don't work I'll check the other sensors and adjust the TV cable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dave3825 said:
I have an 01 and did the same thing a solinoid and sensor went bad in the tranny but mine is an 01 dealer ate the repair

i just got done with a rebuild because those went out causing it to burn up the 2nd gear band... it didnt shift right after the rebuild (only 1st to 2nd shift), after those were replaced it shifts great now... i also added the trans go shift kit when we rebuilt the trans...

·
hot2k1ram
756 Posts
torque convertor may be going out, it happened to me after about 10,000 miles, it had those same symptoms

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just adjusted the forward band and tv cable. Now it shifs out of 1st and 2nd at 2,000 rpm with less than 1/4 throttle. Is that a normal rpm for it to be shifting at? The other gears shift at around 1,500 or lower. At WOT it shifts out of 1st and second between 4,200 - 4,300 rpm. Redline starts at 4.5K, so I think thats ok.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just adjusted the forward band and TV cable. Now it shifts out of 1st and 2nd at 2,000 rpm with less than 1/4 throttle. Is that a normal rpm for it to be shifting at? The other gears shift at around 1,500 or lower. At WOT it shifts out of 1st and second between 4,200 - 4,300 rpm. Redline starts at 4.5K, so I think thats OK.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Sounds good to me....hell of a lot better than what you had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.