DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Red Trucker
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trans is acting all kinds of weird, jerking and shuddering, but if I turn the overdrive off it's fine. I originally got P0734 gear ratio error in 4th. I reset it, and as long as I don't leave O/D on it's fine. My search results seem to be split down the middle between it being the output speed sensor (wasn't that, tried it already) and grenade waiting to happen. I just don't get why the rest of the trans seems to function completely normal but O/D is f*cked. Figures it's right before I leave for another 2 months. Any ideas/opinions?

·
muscle ram
1,020 Posts
i think i have a similar problem with mine, but i think im gonna replace the line pressure sensor and do a fluid and filters change

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
it sounds like the od clutch's/steels are toast, they are the weak link to these trannys. I had the same thing happen to my 1st tranny..

·
Red Trucker
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i have a similar problem with mine, but i think im gonna replace the line pressure sensor and do a fluid and filters change
Tried it, figured for 20 or so bucks it'd be worth it. No joy.
it sounds like the od clutch's/steels are toast, they are the weak link to these trannys. I had the same thing happen to my 1st tranny..
Methinks you are right.

·
Red Trucker
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Well...I tried changing speed sensor and filters/fluid and nothing. So I got another trans, thanks to Daking. Going in with are the Circle D HP II and 1 ton cooler. Once it's quick learned I think it will be lotsa fun to drive again.

The cooler

Out with the old

In with the new

Hopefully tomorrow will be a nice enough day that I can finish. One thing I noticed, this is a heavy damn transmission. I'm used to 904's/727's and the occasional TH350/400, and I don't think any of them were as heavy as this one.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
yes..they are heavy suckas...i've swapped mine out 4+ times, thanks god for tranny jacks..

·
Red Trucker
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes..they are heavy suckas...i've swapped mine out 4+ times, thanks god for tranny jacks..
You damn skippy, SO glad I had one. This is the first trans I've done on anything newer than 1976. More crap to worry about.

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
Damn, that's one clean looking transmission. You need a plexy glass cover so you can see the converter. :)

I hope it servers you MANY years of use and abuse.

I offer the Outa-Site Warranty!

Once its outa my site, its outa warranty :) (I tell all my customers that, its gets funny looks)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well...I tried changing speed sensor and filters/fluid and nothing. So I got another trans, thanks to Daking. Going in with are the Circle D HP II and 1 ton cooler. Once it's quick learned I think it will be lotsa fun to drive again.

The cooler

Out with the old

In with the new

Hopefully tomorrow will be a nice enough day that I can finish. One thing I noticed, this is a heavy damn transmission. I'm used to 904's/727's and the occasional TH350/400, and I don't think any of them were as heavy as this one.
How much did that setup cost, I'm looking for a trans and T/C before I get a cam. It has138K on it now, I should probably freshen it up before the motor gets more power.

Thanks, Kevin

·
Red Trucker
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success (just gotta get it flashed)! No leaks, no muss, no fuss.

How much did that setup cost, I'm looking for a trans and T/C before I get a cam. It has138K on it now, I should probably freshen it up before the motor gets more power.

Thanks, Kevin
Trans - $700 used but built from Daking
Shipping - $200 freight
Circle D converter - $475 free shipping [Chris offers a military discount :) ]
1 ton trans cooler - about $200
Gallons of ATF+4 - about $80

Plus a few miscellaneous odds and ends tools wise. If you do the cooler you will need the quick disconnect tool (this comes in handy if you ever have to pull your fuel pump). A trans jack (small scissor, $80 online from Harbor Freight) is a lifesaver, worth every penny. If you haven't downloaded your FSM yet, I highly recommend you do so.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks, I did download the manual. Tractor supply has tranny jacks and they aren't very expensive.

Thanks, Kevin.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Damn, that's one clean looking transmission. You need a plexy glass cover so you can see the converter. :)

I hope it servers you MANY years of use and abuse.

I offer the Outa-Site Warranty!o

Once its outa my site, its outa warranty :) (I tell all my customers that, its gets funny looks)
Do you rebuild and sell transmissions. If you do I would like to buy one.

Thanks, Kevin.

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
So How does it drive?

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
No fair! We needed a VID here man!

:imo

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
i jus wanna know how you got the tranny to look so clean on the outside...I wanna clean an rebuild one as well..or 2, or 3...hehe

·
Red Trucker
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No fair! We needed a VID here man!

:imo
I'll work on it

i jus wanna know how you got the tranny to look so clean on the outside...I wanna clean an rebuild one as well..or 2, or 3...hehe

I got it that way, ask Don. Probably pressure washed it. That's quite a collection you have there.

·
Ramman
1,599 Posts
Damn, Fred You starting a museum of transmissions? I thought I had a collection.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.