DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in town and when my trans is cold it seems to function properly (maybe a slightly delayed shift into 2nd) but when I get about 2 blocks away from home I only have 1st and reverse.

I changed the fluid and filter and adjusted both front and rear bands and still have the same problem. Both bands seemed like they were not far out of adjustment and I used ATF +4.

Please help! :bawl:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
could be seals in valve body, after they get warm they get soft, and wont let pressure build there for it wont have enough pressuer to shift. that was my problem w/ my old durango.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info on my problem...

Turns out that my trans will only shift into 2nd once and then it's 1st only.

My buddy with a snap-on scanner came over and we drove it and once this one time only shift occurs the governor pressure stays at or near 0.

Bad governor selnoid??

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Have you scanned it for codes? Give more info on your vehicle.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply tactransman.

There were no codes. Although we thought it should set a code for the low governor pressure.

My truck is a 1997 4x4 w/ 5.2L. I'm the 2nd owner of the truck the only "mods" that the first owner did that I can see is the check valve was removed in the tranny cooler return line.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
There are no seals in the valve body.

I would say the screen is blocking up on the governor pressure solenoid,it wouldn't hurt to replace it for sure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

I ordered one earlier today and the ATSG manual.

I'm a process engineer for a pharmaceutical container company and I'm very interested in figuring out and fixing this problem myself. This is only the 2nd tranny that I will be tearing into (put a shift kit in my 700R4 when I had my camaro).

I'll report back once I get it and get it installed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My part and book will be here Tuesday.

Anything else that I should check when I have the pan off? Is there a way to check the plugs in the valve body to make sure they are not leaking?

I also plan on re-adjusting my front band and only turning the adjuster back off to 1 1/2 turns as mentioned in other posts that I have read.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
The VB should be fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be changing the governor pressure solenoid tonight... I'll post results when I get done, if I'm not frozen by then!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
AAAARRRRGGGG!

Ok. I changed the pressure solenoid and took it for a test drive. Everything was ok at first.... I live in town and starting going from block to block, 1st to 2nd shifts ok then it happens... it starts taking off in 2nd. So I get it on the back road out of town and no 2-3 up shift and the check engine light comes on.

Some times it takes off in 1st sometimes in 2nd. Guess I need to get my buddy back over with his scanner. I'm also assuming I should have changed the pressure transducer when I was in there too. Damn.

Please help, again.

EDIT: Stated no 3-4 upshift, should have been 2-3 upshift.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Scan it,that should give you some answers. Post what you find.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Edited last post... meant 2-3 upshift not 3-4.

Ya, I'll get it scanned and report back.

One question though. When I was changing the solenoid I wiggled the pressure sensor and it seemed loose in the bore. I pulled the governor block off the VB and took the sensor out and the o-ring was barely larger than the diameter of the sensor. How tight is this sensor usually in the bore?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
It will not be real tight,but it sounds like it could use a new "O" ring.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
P1757

What does this mean?

EDIT:

P1757 Governor Pressure Above 3 PSI In Gear @ 0 MPH

Um... ok.

So I replace the governor solenoid and then get this code. What fixes this?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
Just a FYI,there has been talk on my "transmission mechanic only" repair forum of bad NEW Mopar governor pressure solenoids. The solenoids are very sensitive to dirt,even a little dirt. The plunger inside HAS to move as smooth as glass. They need a redesign done on them. You might try a new pressure sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you think I should change the solenoid again too?

Does anybody make a good aftermarket one?

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
It might not hurt to put another one on it,if you didn't have the code till you changed the last one. This the only thing you can do different (but it is three times the price) see attached PDF file.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, so I was sitting here watching football and it hit me... I forgot to reconnect the spring on the TV cable arm on the trans.

So I hook it up, delete the code from the computer, and take it for a spin. IT SHIFTS!!! WOO HOO!

Took it for about a 25 mile drive and all seems ok except for one difference. When it goes into OD it is an instant shift, almost harsh. It never did that before. Does the computer need re-learn itself since replacing the governor solenoid?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.