DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to the local trans shop and had the replace the fluid and filter in my 99 ram. The trans was rebuilt about 5k ago and it started shifting like garbage but no real slipping. They took the pan off and holy cow there were metal shavings everywhere. While there are acceptable amounts of shavings I feel it was beyond excesive. Now the shop says it needs to be rebuilt again. The truck sat for over a year after about 1k miles on the trans. What would you consider to be to many shavings?

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
so the warrantee over time expired, ouch, why you put her to pasture after 1k miles?

To me any "measureable" amount of shaving, especially after 5k miles, is too much, I will use measureable as a term relating to visible mounding stuck to bottom of pan when oil emptied out

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it was a ton of metal. I bought the truck back in October from a good friend expecting it would last a couple years. The warranty is not up yet so I will be bringing it back but I have never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Pics would be nice. Drop the valve body and have a look at the drums. If not the drums see if you can find where the metal came from.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It isn't worth it.. The fluid was looking horrible, like greyish brown but it did not smell burned and the amount of metal in the pan was nearly a handfull. Also the trans started not shifting into 3rd without going to nuetral first and then the same for 2nd and now it doesnt want to shift out of second. Although, when you start it upo cold and take off, it's good for a mile or two before going BS crazy. Good news is, OD and the TC lockup still works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.